lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
rcotten83
Not Yet Wild

Default Robins 295 Bottom End Rebuild

Hello, I’m new here I bought a 2001 Ezgo with a Robins 295. The engine was bad had a knock in it. I ordered a rebuild kit with a crankshaft. I’m in the middle of putting everything back together I have a manual and have been following the directions. When I have the crank case apart I can turn the motor and the piston move as they should. The problem I have is I have put everything together as far as the fan and now I can’t seem to turn the motor at all. Is this normal or should I take everything apart and start over. I just don’t want to get it all together and it be locked up because something is in a bind.
rcotten83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: Robins 295 Bottom End Rebuild

Sounds like something is wrong. It should turn pretty easily right up to when you put the plugs in and start making some compression. You could start taking things off ( like the fan) could be end play not right on the crank, and keep checking as you proceed to find at what point it locks-up.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
rcotten83
Not Yet Wild

It seems to happen when I put the cover on. I guess I’m going to take it apart again and double check everything again.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcotten83 View Post
It seems to happen when I put the cover on. I guess I’m going to take it apart again and double check everything again.
Yeah, you have too much into it to risk damaging expensive stuff at this point.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
rcotten83
Not Yet Wild

It’s almost like the balancer shaft isn’t letting the crank shaft turn once I put the crank case cover on. It goes into a hole where the oil pump is. Seems like once I slide it all together the shaft won’t turn. I will have to look into it more tomorrow. Thanks
Old 04-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Remove the oil pump before installing the cover.

Make sure the bearings on the crank are fully seated. Either if these 2 things can cause it to bind.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
rcotten83
Not Yet Wild

I don’t know everything seems to be seated like it should. When I put the crank case on I can turn it with a socket as long as the bolts aren’t to tight. But it is still pretty tight to turn using a socket.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcotten83 View Post
I don’t know everything seems to be seated like it should. When I put the crank case on I can turn it with a socket as long as the bolts aren’t to tight. But it is still pretty tight to turn using a socket.
How did the crankshaft turn before you installed pistons and rods ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #9
rcotten83
Not Yet Wild

Fine, the reason for the rebuild is a a broken connecting rod. I bought a new crank shaft and a rebuild kit. Had the cylinders hoaned and polished.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The only thing that makes any sense to me anyway, is the crankshaft bearings sorta press both onto the crankshaft and into the case. If one of those is cocked crooked, bound up, etc. From not being fully seated I could see it doing that. Butotherwise, if it spins free with the cover off then installing and torquing the cover should be just that, installing and torquing the cover. It should not have any effect on how the crank spins.

Unless trig has any other advice? Hes done a lot more of these engines than I
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO