lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Default Something is not right.. Cooked FnR

I was driving the cart last night for about an hour over a golf course and though the hood.. and I noticed a smell of burning plastic, not long after that the cart wouldn't move, also, I have a digital voltage gauge and the volts were down to 29 at that time.
Ive got a plum quick motor, alltrax, big solenoid and oversized wiring with copper lugs and big tires. After investigating, i've found that the FnR switch was melted where the lugs mount.. Any idea what Ive got going wrong? Thanks !!

IMG_3069.jpg
89redgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Something is not right.. Cooked FnR

Is it a heavy duty f/r? They have bigger lugs. If everything else is bigger and the fr is not it will get hot and melt it on a long ride. Especially if you have a rear seat and/or more people. I learned all this the hard way.
peachhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachhead View Post
Is it a heavy duty f/r? They have bigger lugs. If everything else is bigger and the fr is not it will get hot and melt it on a long ride. Especially if you have a rear seat and/or more people. I learned all this the hard way.
Has the heavy duty FnR, there is a rear seat installed and had 1 other person..
Old 07-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

I'm not familiar with pq motors but it sounds like a high amp setup. After an hour of driving I'm pretty sure it's about maxed out. To me it sounds like your HD fnr unfortunately really isn't but then again I'm not an expert.
peachhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I had the same such series of events occur to me many years ago. First, the factory F\R melted. Then a HD F\R melted.

Then I went with a set of HD reversing contactors and haven't looked back. I think they are 5 years old now and running like a champ.

The archaic design of the EZ-GO F\R switch is the weak link in the system. Beef it up with reversing contactors and you will not be sorry.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, 29v is very low. All the parts were struggling to get by.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I had the same such series of events occur to me many years ago. First, the factory F\R melted. Then a HD F\R melted.

Then I went with a set of HD reversing contactors and haven't looked back. I think they are 5 years old now and running like a champ.

The archaic design of the EZ-GO F\R switch is the weak link in the system. Beef it up with reversing contactors and you will not be sorry.

FWIW
Thanks for all the responses.. so heres what Ive found so far. 2 of the leads from the motor to the FnR were really cooked, had to actually pry them out of plastic substrate and then sand the lugs to look like copper again. Now that everything is back together, when I have it in F and depress the pedal I get the solenoid click, but in reverse I get nothing and the volt meter isn't registering either.
In addition I was checking the voltage across the solenoid and in the F position with the pedal depressed Im getting pack voltage across the small leads, but nothing across the main BIG terminal leads.

So I just don't start buying parts till it s fixed can anyone explain how to properly check to see if the FnR and the Solenoid are working as they should?

Thanks in advance !!
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont believe at all that the F&R is in any sort of usable condition any more. They just dont work after they been melted once. The contacts have to sit absolutely perfect in the plastic.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #9
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I dont believe at all that the F&R is in any sort of usable condition any more. They just dont work after they been melted once. The contacts have to sit absolutely perfect in the plastic.
Okay Thanks. ill order a new FnR.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
dreed55
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You should consider changing to a F&R contactor switch. It will handle the higher amperage much better and you might not melt another switch.
dreed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO