lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
dmehnert
Not Yet Wild

Default Removing Lift Kit and Going Stock - RXV

Hey All,

I have a 2012 RXV lifted with a 6" Jakes Spindle Kit on some 23" tires. It goes about 24-25mph tops. I'd like to get some more speed out of it but not overstress the controller and make it any more shaky than it already is. Plus my wife hates the lifted rough ride and noise.

So here I am .... I want to remove the spindle kit and get back to stock suspension. I bought the cart with the spindle kit already on it so I was hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction of what suspension parts I need to buy if any to get this cart dropped back down to stock height.

Also, what are the biggest tires I can throw on 12" rims that would work well at 25-30 mph on roads? Looking to stay under 20.5"
dmehnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
Furley11
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Removing Lift Kit and Going Stock - RXV

Have you considered offering a trade for someone wanting to go in the other direction?
Furley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
dmehnert
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furley11 View Post
Have you considered offering a trade for someone wanting to go in the other direction?

I have not, but am open to it.

Do you know the parts I would need to receive to make sure I am made whole and not shorted if I went that direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmehnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Electric instructions are not coming up, but here is gas: https://www.jakesliftkits.com/golfca...ch_Spindle.pdf only difference should be the motor and brake mount won’t be needed.

Front should just the the spindles themselves. Rear will be the spring and shock to axle hardware.

OEM part numbers can be found here, click ezgo then type rxv in model: https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-parts#

FYI on a stock controller with freedom mode you will lose speed putting on smaller tires. Will be 22 with 20.5s vs 25 on 23s.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Electric instructions are not coming up, but here is gas: https://www.jakesliftkits.com/golfca...ch_Spindle.pdf only difference should be the motor and brake mount won’t be needed.

Front should just the the spindles themselves. Rear will be the spring and shock to axle hardware.

OEM part numbers can be found here, click ezgo then type rxv in model: https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-parts#

FYI on a stock controller with freedom mode you will lose speed putting on smaller tires. Will be 22 with 20.5s vs 25 on 23s.
If he goes back to the smaller 20.5" tires, the torque loss reduction will actually allow for higher speeds (30+ MPH) to be programmed, if he has the stock Curtis controiller. I see it all the time, going oversize on tires with the stock controller actually causing a loss of top speed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If he goes back to the smaller 20.5" tires, the torque loss reduction will actually allow for higher speeds (30+ MPH) to be programmed, if he has the stock Curtis controiller. I see it all the time, going oversize on tires with the stock controller actually causing a loss of top speed.
To clarify, when I said stock controller, I meant stock (Freedom) programmed stock controller. Just trying to convey the impact of the tire change by itself.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
To clarify, when I said stock controller, I meant stock (Freedom) programmed stock controller. Just trying to convey the impact of the tire change by itself.
From the factory, both Fleet and Freedom Curtis controlled RXVs have their torque reduced by 28%. With everything else being equal, stock tires on a reprogrammed RXV can deliver about 26 - 28 MPH. When larger tires are installed, there is enough torque to turn 20.5" tires to their full speed (about 32 - 33 MPH), but not enough torque to turn 23" tires to their full speed (about 35 - 37 MPH), on level ground. Even if custom tuned to the cart in person, an RXV with 23" tires... a reprogrammed stock Curtis 235 Amp controller will be limited to about 30 MPH or less on level ground. Hill climbing ability is pretty much gone as well! This has been proven multiple times in recent years.

You can ask mowinman2 here on BGW how fast we were able to get his 2012 RXV with 23" tires up to, early AM this past saturday. I had to reduce his accel rate to allow his existing reprogrammed Curtis 235 Amp controller to survive until he can either replace his controller with the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade, or reduce his tire size.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
Boogz761
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
From the factory, both Fleet and Freedom Curtis controlled RXVs have their torque reduced by 28%. With everything else being equal, stock tires on a reprogrammed RXV can deliver about 26 - 28 MPH. When larger tires are installed, there is enough torque to turn 20.5" tires to their full speed (about 32 - 33 MPH), but not enough torque to turn 23" tires to their full speed (about 35 - 37 MPH), on level ground. Even if custom tuned to the cart in person, an RXV with 23" tires... a reprogrammed stock Curtis 235 Amp controller will be limited to about 30 MPH or less on level ground. Hill climbing ability is pretty much gone as well! This has been proven multiple times in recent years.

You can ask mowinman2 here on BGW how fast we were able to get his 2012 RXV with 23" tires up to, early AM this past saturday. I had to reduce his accel rate to allow his existing reprogrammed Curtis 235 Amp controller to survive until he can either replace his controller with the Curtis 350 Amp upgrade, or reduce his tire size.
Hey Bob what width you would recommend with the 20.5 tires ?
Boogz761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogz761 View Post
Hey Bob what width you would recommend with the 20.5 tires ?
That is entirely up to you. On the road, narrow street tires are fine. I've used small trailer tires from WalMart. 4 bolt ones can be bought with painted or galvanized rims pretty cheaply. For off-road, wider tires are better. During the pandemic, tires and wheels from China are scarce and getting harder to find.

Tags
lift kit stock rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO