lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
xeonman13
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Controller question

Hello,
I have an EZGO 2009 PDS.
About a year and a half ago, my son pushed this cart for several miles with out engaging TOW mode. This resulted in a burnt motor.

I had the service person put in all new batteries, a new motor, and a new solenoid. It has run fine for the past 1.5 years. This golf cart is not heavily used. Maybe one day a week for 2-3 miles.

This weekend the cart started acting up. Its like if it would disengage from FWD and stop rolling until you put played with the direction switch a little. I also noticed the Tow mode switch and the box was extremely hot and there was a burnt smell coming from the battery compartment.

I touched all the batteries and wires, nothing was hot. So I can only guess this is the controller?

One more wierd thing I noticed is normally when the cart is placed in the neutral position (rocker switch in the middle) the battery guage turns off. Now its always on, regardless of position.

Any recommendations on what else can be causing this?
I am imagining this is residual damage from the towing incident?
Never had a golf cart that I have had to sink this much money into, lol.
xeonman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO Controller question

May have taken out the controller or at least weakened it. Pull the cover and see what is getting hot.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
xeonman13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
May have taken out the controller or at least weakened it. Pull the cover and see what is getting hot.
I took the cover off and found some damage. Seems like some of the wires melted as well as some burning on the solendoid.

Just to make sure you remember this golf cart has a new motor and new batteries, new solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-07-27_19-38-20.jpg (147.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1908.jpg (96.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-07-27_19-37-04.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Doesnt matter if that solenoid was installed yesterday, its totally trashed today.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
xeonman13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Doesnt matter if that solenoid was installed yesterday, its totally trashed today.
Yep completely understand but do you think its simply the solenoid or the controller is causing the solenoid to go bad? Any way to test?
Sorry just want to be thorough here and avoid just doing the solenoid to have it go bad again.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Get the make and model number off the aftermarket solenoid that is now installed and look up the specs.

The stock (85A) solenoids EZGO used were only marginally adequate to pass amps to a 300A PDS controller.

Install a 200A with magnetic breakouts if you plan to stay stock or a 400A solenoid is you might upgrade to a better controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
xeonman13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Get the make and model number off the aftermarket solenoid that is now installed and look up the specs.

The stock (85A) solenoids EZGO used were only marginally adequate to pass amps to a 300A PDS controller.

Install a 200A with magnetic breakouts if you plan to stay stock or a 400A solenoid is you might upgrade to a better controller.
Do you have a 200A model with magnetic breakouts you recommend?
I tried searching around and can’t find anything. Also could not find anything on the model I have. It says CB-C175E, 36V, 201820. The last number seems like a time stamp.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonman13 View Post
Do you have a 200A model with magnetic breakouts you recommend?
I tried searching around and can’t find anything. Also could not find anything on the model I have. It says CB-C175E, 36V, 201820. The last number seems like a time stamp.
I don't sell parts.

I use a MZJ400 solenoid with a 48V coil, whose contacts are rated at 400A continuous and 1000A peak.

Here is where I got it. Also good info about solenoids and magnetic breakout types.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looks like it got towed again
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO