lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
1petezrinski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Clicking sound from clutch?

I just purchased a 2016 Yamaha YDRA. I’ve been hearing some rapid clicking sound. It started out as a slower clicking not occurring often but now it’s pretty constant. It doesn’t immediately happen when starting out but maybe within 1-2 seconds and then it will stop at coasting speeds north of 15 mph. It makes the sound in neutral and in reverse. I thought I had it fixed when I greased both clutch fittings but it came back within a day. But, this leads me to believe it has to do with the clutch. Primary looks fine and the belt was in perfect condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1petezrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
1petezrinski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Clicking sound from clutch?

133 hours and 1732 miles in case that helps. However, this leads me to another question. Can't a dishonest seller just remove original odometer device and install another one to make it look like a cart has less usage?
Old 08-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1petezrinski View Post
133 hours and 1732 miles in case that helps. However, this leads me to another question. Can't a dishonest seller just remove original odometer device and install another one to make it look like a cart has less usage?
Sure, there's no odometer laws for golf carts, unless it's registered as a DOT street legal cart. Then it should have a title and the same odometer laws as cars would apply.

As far as the clutch noise? It could be a loose/worn weight in the primary clutch. I'm not familiar with that model, so I don't know how that clutch is put together. Usually there are centrifugal weights in there that move according to rpm, so as it's gaining engine speed it will move the outer sheave and squeeze the belt to make the cart go. If one of those weights is loose in there it will make noise. Probably need to remove the dust/inspection cover if it has one and check it out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Golf carts dont have "odometers" , and heres why, it would have to be connected to "wheel speed", and engine speed doesnt correlate directly with wheel speed. Golf carts use a "continuously variable clutch" between the engine and the axle. This is why the Governor on a golf cart doesnt regulate engine rpm, it regulates "expected output speed" (wheel speed). Ever notice how when you mash the pedal to the floor, the engine revs up high, then at a point, it "settles down" to a slightly lower rpm? The governor is in the axle (not the engine) and regulates "expected output speed", at the axle, not engine rpm. The governor allows any & all engine power (and rpm) available, until the expected output is obtained, then it slows the engine down. There are a few cases where this doesnt apply (like V-twin hotrod conversions), or when the factory governor has been bypassed or modified. Or cases where the belt & clutch is so far out from factory parameters that the electronics just shut it down for too high rpm (some electronics do that, some dont, depending on model).

Because of the normal variations between engine speeds and wheel speeds, the cart could have 500 hours on the engine and a wide variation of actual vehicle miles. If it were all "hills miles", the engine would have more use on it, (and less miles) than if it would have if it were "flat cruising miles" because the clutches spent more time in lower speed "torque mode", as opposed to "flat ground cruise" mode.

I'm sure this makes "not that much sense", but let's just say that golf carts dont typically
have "odometers", and they have "Hour meters" instead, because it would be too expensive & tricky for golf cart manufacturers to measure "miles" on a vehicle they originally built to run around on a golf course. (And maybe later classified as a PTV, or LSV, true "50 state legal' LSV has a "odometer"). Get a 2five, yep, that'll cost more.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
1petezrinski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I removed the cover but couldn't get it completely off, as there wasn't enough space between the frame. I read in other posts that I will need to jack it up and drop the axle? I will need to wait a few weeks until I go through this process. I'll post back with updates at that time.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would check the service manual for the proper procedure. If you don't have one, it would be a wise investment to get one. I can't tell you how many times I've used mine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha