lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
dogthenine
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid problem

I am having a solenoid problem with my Ezgo L6 Express Gas cart. The original (the one that was on it when I got it) solenoid went out the other day. I got the part number off of it (27153G01) ordered a replacement, got it installed, I thought all was good. After about three starts, it quit working. Thought, it must have been a bad one, ordered a couple more. Replaced it, and after about three more starts, I failed. I decided to take it apart, and the wires are burnt. I have enclosed a picture. I checked the voltage coming in (when the gas pedal is pressed) at the small post, it is 12.4-13.1. Same voltage at the top post coming from the battery. What would cause solenoids to burn up like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (56.3 KB, 0 views)
dogthenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid problem

The first and most obvious question: Where did those solenoids come from? Many online vendors will gladly sell you a part that LOOKS like the original one but may not be a true continuous duty part. A more conventional 12 volt starter solenoid (like and automotive or lawn & garden part) is not going to last. Starter solenoids are engaged for the 10 seconds or so it takes to get the engine started, then disengaged the rest of the time. In Golf cart use that solenoid is engaged the entire time the engine is running. Once the engine starts, the solenoid stays engaged and becomes the return path for the power produced by the generator.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also make sure to get a genuine OEM solenoid. The aftermarket units (Amazon, eBay, buggies unlimited, etc) all LIST OEM part numbers. But they’re sneaky and say it “replaces xxxxxxxxx” where xxxxxxxx is the oem part number. Really they’re Chinese cheap junk. I’ve had aftermarket solenoids do bad stuff. One the hot terminal that goes to the battery + lead actually dead shorted internally to the housing of the solenoid where it mounts, essentially connecting the positive battery terminal straight to chassis ground and almost caught the cart on fire. I had just parked it in the garage and shut off the lights and fans, heard something sizzling. It was the solenoid, and the mounting plate was glowing red. The battery was making the sizzling noises. I quick grabbed a wrench and disconnected the battery terminal.

It got hot enough it actually welded itself to the metal it was mounted to. I had to use a pry bar and break it off.

I’ll never buy another aftermarket solenoid. It’s not worth it to save 20 bucks.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
kenhouser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

it would be interesting to know how long the original one lasted.
so how long have you had the cart?
when you say 3 starts, how long did you ride after each start?
i had a voltage regulator go nuts and the generator was putting out like 19 volts and burnt
the SOL and **** near my battery.
so the point i am trying to make is if the original was working for many years maybe something else caused the issue.
but CP and Meimk are correct about good quality products.
kenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO