lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2013 G29 Drive Build

@cgtech you've helped me out with clutch questions before and hoping you can help again. For some reason I can just never seem to grasp fully how all the components play together. This new cart has way more bottom end and climbing ability than my G16 had, mind you this has stock tires. I'm happy with the way it is driving now but I notice the primary has a bit of a flat spot on the outer sheave (if that's the right term) but the inner is smooth. The secondary is also nice and smooth. I have a new HD belt to go on but just want to know if you see anything that seems in need of replacement. Sorry, if it's hard to see I can get different pictures.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
mattrourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
mattrourke
Getting Wild

I tried to exaggerate with red lines where the flat spot is. Is it normal?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

If you're referring to the area at the outer edges of the sheave. then I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Just linking this for the picture, but you can see the same spot you're talking about in the product image. https://www.golfcartgarage.com/yamah...y-clutch-2007/
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #14
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokuro View Post
If you're referring to the area at the outer edges of the sheave. then I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Just linking this for the picture, but you can see the same spot you're talking about in the product image. https://www.golfcartgarage.com/yamah...y-clutch-2007/
Thank you for the reply!

The picture you linked to shows that flat ridge on the inner sheave. Mine seems to have a flat spot on the outer sheave (the right side of my picture) but the more I think about it, the more i think it must be normal since it isn't an indentation, it seems like it was manufactured that way, the angle comes up smooth and meets this flat spot and it is only on the outermost sheave and no apparent wear on the inner. I will try and get a straight edge against it for a better picture.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrourke View Post
Thank you for the reply!

The picture you linked to shows that flat ridge on the inner sheave. Mine seems to have a flat spot on the outer sheave (the right side of my picture) but the more I think about it, the more i think it must be normal since it isn't an indentation, it seems like it was manufactured that way, the angle comes up smooth and meets this flat spot and it is only on the outermost sheave and no apparent wear on the inner. I will try and get a straight edge against it for a better picture.

Aww shucks! You're right. I might have a Drive out in my shop I can go look at for you to be sure. Hang tight.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So... I don't think it's normal for your outer sheave to be worn like that. These pictures are from the OEM clutch on a 2009 Drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8806.jpg (131.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8807.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #17
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokuro View Post
So... I don't think it's normal for your outer sheave to be worn like that. These pictures are from the OEM clutch on a 2009 Drive.
Perfect! That's exactly what I needed for comparison. I will add that to the replacement list. Runs fine now, but that will likely be more noticeable with the large tires on it.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 AM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your clutches are the best ones available during that time. But, your drive belt is totally roached, its bad. The bare minimum you should buy is the factory Yamaha belt (J55-G6241) or newer part number. Do not buy a cheapo belt elsewhere, save yourself the hassle.

If your ok with a little "tighter/stickier" belt go with a G-boost DBYAJ57H, its kevlar belted, and will likely last for the life of your cart. I used to go through (decent quality) yamaha belts about every 2 years, which is to be expected with big tires & such. (My cart is lifted too). The G-boost one listed above was one of those "why didnt I do this sooner" deals, it's been on there for years & has never shown any signs of giving up. Mr. Don plowman also offers great belts made to the standards the OEM would never "spring for". Id give his stuff an A+ all day as well. The key here is, if you are gonna lift it, get a real "top notch" belt, or your gonna be pissed when the cheapo eats $&#% while your trying to have fun.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Your clutches are the best ones available during that time. But, your drive belt is totally roached, its bad. The bare minimum you should buy is the factory Yamaha belt (J55-G6241) or newer part number. Do not buy a cheapo belt elsewhere, save yourself the hassle.

If your ok with a little "tighter/stickier" belt go with a G-boost DBYAJ57H, its kevlar belted, and will likely last for the life of your cart. I used to go through (decent quality) yamaha belts about every 2 years, which is to be expected with big tires & such. (My cart is lifted too). The G-boost one listed above was one of those "why didnt I do this sooner" deals, it's been on there for years & has never shown any signs of giving up. Mr. Don plowman also offers great belts made to the standards the OEM would never "spring for". Id give his stuff an A+ all day as well. The key here is, if you are gonna lift it, get a real "top notch" belt, or your gonna be pissed when the cheapo eats $&#% while your trying to have fun.
Thank you, I have a new kevlar belt to go on it already as per your recommendation on my G16, just haven't installed it yet.

The engine also sounded a little bit like it was making a puffing noise which I immediately thought might be exhaust gasket or head gasket but it could also just sound a bit different from my g16. I took a video to see if someone can tell me if it sounds normal for this cart, although I don't know that the video does a very good job of the sound, you hear it a bit better as the engine stops. It might just simply be the sound of the exhaust puffing. Also noticed the breather tube up to the airbox puffs strongly too.

Sorry if this seems dumb, but it just didn't sound like what I'm used to and don't want to start swapping bodies etc until I know the mechanical side is decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IwNhwLBnzQ

Old 03-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #20
mattrourke
Getting Wild

A couple of updates:

Put the new belt on and WOW! Was able to do tight donuts on the gravel. This thing really woke up!

In trying to find the puffing noise and being worried about head gasket, I compression tested and got 105. Decided I would seafoam it before anything and during that found a good size hole in the bottom of the muffler... There is the puffing noise solved. After the seafoam I hit 120 on compression test. Doing another hot soak right now and will gauge it again. 120 seems low (should be around 150 I think I read) but man it sure seems to run fast and strong otherwise. Hopefully I can get a bit higher compression out of this cleaning and maybe a valve adjustment as I don't really want to get into doing any rebuilding.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha