lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 ezego smoking

My ezego with robin eh292 engine lost power and smoked very badly couple days ago. I was going up a steep road when it lugged down and I looked back to a wall of smoke. Finally made it up the hill and drove it to my shop and parked it. Checked oil and it was right on the full mark. By then it was no longer smoking and seemed to run fine. Used it the next day couple times with no smoking. Used it today for short distance and saw little smoke.
What can cause this?
Thanks.
Etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 ezego smoking

I would take a guess. You cart is lifted and maybe too much oil ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

and if lifted you can't trust the full line.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Yes it's lifted but have not added any oil since it was changed several months back and it is not over the full mark. The smoking was a sudden horrendous smoke screen not just a puff. It was like it was injesting huge amount of oil to the point of stalling out the engine.
I see some small hair line cracks in the rubber hose from the crankcase breather to the air intake.otherwise engine has no leaks or obvious issues.
Could valve stem seals cause this?
I think I'll do a compression check
All advice appreciated.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etu View Post
Yes it's lifted but have not added any oil since it was changed several months back and it is not over the full mark. The smoking was a sudden horrendous smoke screen not just a puff. It was like it was injesting huge amount of oil to the point of stalling out the engine.
I see some small hair line cracks in the rubber hose from the crankcase breather to the air intake.otherwise engine has no leaks or obvious issues.
Could valve stem seals cause this?
I think I'll do a compression check
All advice appreciated.
Here is what I do. When you lift a cart the engine is tilted so if you fill to full mark then you are overfilled. You want to add only 1.5 quarts when changing the oil and then mark you stick. It will be below the full mark.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 ezego smoking- Solved

Problem solved
Valves needed adjustment. The two center vales did not have clearance and was creating a positive crankcase pressure.
Before I adjusted the valves I removed the crankcase vent tube and held my finger over the tube while I started the engine. I noticed a positive pressure against my finger.
When i removed the hose from air filter to carb there was a pool of oil right at the carb intake lip next to where the vent hose connects.
I ran compression test before valve adjustment = 150psi on cylinder next to air shroud and 160 on cylinder next to clutch side.
After valve adjustment they were 170 and 165 respectively.
After valve adjustment I held my finger against the vent tube and there was the normal pulsing of slightly negative and positive pulses.
Cleaned the carb intake of oil and all seems fine.
Thanks for all the input.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO