lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
rbdaves
Not Yet Wild

Default Pulsar works when cart first used, then no

I’m inexperienced with golf cart gas engines. I have a ‘99 EZGo with Robin 295cc engine.

Engine has repeatedly quit working after being operated for short trip, then stopping. Thereafter, motor turns but doesn’t start.

I’m using an EZGo repair manual that I downloaded to analyze the problem

I have adjusted the valves to .004
Compression 150+ both cyls
Coil is to specs
Pulsar is to specs BEFORE START and running cart.
Pulsar shows nothing after cart is stopped.

My assumption is that everything is up to specs on first startup of engine, since it runs just fine (notwithstanding backfiring at minimum throttle).

So is there something else to check? Why does engine run fine on first start, but not at all after a stop? Is the pulsar failing or is there something else to check?

If pulsar needs to be replaced, how is this done?
rbdaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Pulsar works when cart first used, then no

I’d start by removing the vertical plate next to the battery with all the electronics on it. The ignitor is on there, and grounds through that plate via mounting/chassis ground. That plate tends to build rust and corrosion between the plate and the body, and ground becomes poor for the electronics on it. Sometimes a bit of love from a wire wheel is all it takes.

The pulsar itself is uncommon to fail. Possible, but not common. I’d also check the connector for the pulsar as you can accumulate corrosion and such within that connector, creating a bad connection between the ignitor and pulsar.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdaves View Post
I’m inexperienced with golf cart gas engines. I have a ‘99 EZGo with Robin 295cc engine.

Engine has repeatedly quit working after being operated for short trip, then stopping. Thereafter, motor turns but doesn’t start.

I’m using an EZGo repair manual that I downloaded to analyze the problem

I have adjusted the valves to .004
Compression 150+ both cyls
Coil is to specs
Pulsar is to specs BEFORE START and running cart.
Pulsar shows nothing after cart is stopped.

My assumption is that everything is up to specs on first startup of engine, since it runs just fine (notwithstanding backfiring at minimum throttle).

So is there something else to check? Why does engine run fine on first start, but not at all after a stop? Is the pulsar failing or is there something else to check?

If pulsar needs to be replaced, how is this done?
If you unplug the pulser coil and check with a DVOM set to ohms and it shows nothing then the pulser is bad.

I have never heard of one going bad when hot but there is a first for everything.

What kind of meter are you using ? and what scale have you got it set on when testing the pulser.

You should see from 19 to 21 ohms at all times, hot or cold

I included a picture on how to install it if indeed it is bad.

That plastic connector where you plug it in has known issues so check that good. The pins spread apart.

I will also second what CP241 said about the plate that holds the ignitor , solenoid and V/R. Grounds have to be clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulser.jpg (185.8 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #4
rbdaves
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the pulsar. the gap setting was a very, very tight .025. Still no spark. I checked the white and red wires leading to the coil for voltage. Shouldn’t the red wire show voltage when trying to start the engine? I am finding voltage on the white wire, not the red one. Also, does it matter which wire connects to the coil terminals. I checked both wires for continuity-no problem. Thanks in advance for help.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdaves View Post
I replaced the pulsar. the gap setting was a very, very tight .025. Still no spark. I checked the white and red wires leading to the coil for voltage. Shouldn’t the red wire show voltage when trying to start the engine? I am finding voltage on the white wire, not the red one. Also, does it matter which wire connects to the coil terminals. I checked both wires for continuity-no problem. Thanks in advance for help.
With wires disconnected from coil the white wire has voltage when spinning over, not the red one. The white wire goes to neg side of coil and red wire to pos side. I know its confusing but trUst me that's how it goes. The cart will run either way but manual said red to pos.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
rbdaves
Not Yet Wild

Still no spark after replacing the pulsar. Next comes the igniter.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
rbdaves
Not Yet Wild

The new pulsar gap is a really tight .025. I put feeler in before tightening pulsar in place. It was very hard to get gauge out. Still no spark. I spent a day tracing wiring and am going to replace ignitor next. Any thoughts here?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #8
rbdaves
Not Yet Wild

is there a way to check the Pulsar output to ignitor?
I’m really up against a brick wall.
I have removed and polished all connectors and connect points on the Electronics plate.
I’ve fixed a broken wire and wiggled all the other wires I could find looking for loose or broken wires.
I’m getting 11.7 V on coil input
I have replaced Ignitor and Pulsar
I’ve cleaned and tested all grounds I can find.
No spark
Help!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't see it in the thread anywhere...did you replace the plugs? If you have signal to the coil, and thr coil ohms out properly at both primary and secondary terminals, I would say it is the plugs, or the ground from the block.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace pulsar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO