lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 97 EZGO 295 Robbins Head Removal Questions

Hey,
I'm trying to remove the head on my 295 robbins engine. I have the carb/intake, exhaust mani, valve cover, timing belt cover, and belt removed.

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the cam and rocker arm shafts out of the way so I can get to the head studs.

I read on here that they come out from the passenger via a plate with 4 bolts. I removed the plate on the passenger side to access it but I can't remove anything.

Any tips/ pointers would be great.

Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZGO 295 Robbins Head Removal Questions

You have to take the timing gear off the end of the cam, possibly the back cover to the timing belt/gears, don't know if it has to come off or not, I forget. I think, once the cam gear is off, it will slide out. You will need to take the plastic fan cover off, and the small steel plate off the passenger side of the head. The rod that carries the rocker arms, spacers, and spring slides out through the side of the head under that plate. You use a screw driver in the slot on the steel carrying rod to push it out. The cam goes out a hole in the same side of the head, under that plate.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
You have to take the timing gear off the end of the cam, possibly the back cover to the timing belt/gears, don't know if it has to come off or not, I forget. I think, once the cam gear is off, it will slide out. You will need to take the plastic fan cover off, and the small steel plate off the passenger side of the head. The rod that carries the rocker arms, spacers,
and spring slides out through the side of the head under that plate. You use a screw driver in the slot on the steel carrying rod to push it out. The cam goes out a hole in the same side of the head, under that plate.
Thank you for the reply and info.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you again. Just got the head out!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can “rent” a valve spring compressor tool from the auto parts store for free. I don’t use the whole tool on these, just the adapter and push it down by hand. Not necessary for removing the keepers and valve springs but sure makes it a lot easier to put them back in!

I’d also recommend working with the head on a white towel or sheet, particularly when removing the keepers. And use a magnet. They have a tendency to fly away.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah these valve springs are very weak and can be pushed/removed by hand. I use a socket sometimes, but on the ezgo they are really easy to push down. These really are very easy engines to work on, once they are out of the cart.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO