lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Deltawaterboy
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Supreme or Ethanol Free?

My 2006 gasser has massive carbon smell. Installed new carb, now time to change gas. What’s better and burns cleaner, Chevron/Shell supreme unleaded with less then 10% Ethanol or 87 octane ethanol free from my local Quicky mart? Thanks in advance!
Deltawaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas Supreme or Ethanol Free?

87 octane ethanol free.

These are low compression engines. Higher octane fuel is used in engines with higher compression ratios. It prevents pre-ignition, and detonation caused by the higher compression ratios. High octane fuel is harder to ignite. It has less BTUs which means it has less energy. It gets poorer gas mileage. One of the ways to increase the octane rating is to add more ethanol.

Bottom line is don't waste your money on buying high octane fuel because you are not getting your money's worth.

Here. Don't take my word for it. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ctane-gasoline

The bottom line on this one tells about using ethanol to boost octane. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octa...394%20(premium).
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
Deltawaterboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will take your word it!
Deltawaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I always just used regular ol gas and only put in a gallon or two at a time. If I filled the tank all the way it would last 6 months so I kept the level low so it wouldn’t go bad and never had a problem. I’ve never used ethanol free in any of my stuff and never had a problem to be honest. But I use common sense and if I know it’s gonna sit for 6 months I’ll drain the tank and carb out.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I always just used regular ol gas and only put in a gallon or two at a time. If I filled the tank all the way it would last 6 months so I kept the level low so it wouldn’t go bad and never had a problem. I’ve never used ethanol free in any of my stuff and never had a problem to be honest. But I use common sense and if I know it’s gonna sit for 6 months I’ll drain the tank and carb out.
I do the same thing. I buy any 87 octane, and never mix more than two gallons at a time. It lasts a really long time. That's even driving my cart every day of the year.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ethanol free with a little Stabil added in there....gas lasts all year. No issues with power.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

i use non ethanol only and never ever ethanol...ethanol is rough on small
engines, motorcycles , boats etc...ethanol draws moisture..

Often times have filled my tank with ethanol in times past...only
to have my engine stumble badly at stop lights...had to use seafoam
to fix the issue...never ever again will I use ethanol..

On top of that there is a decent mpg gain using non ethanol over ethanol.

Best wishes
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
i use non ethanol only and never ever ethanol...ethanol is rough on small
engines, motorcycles , boats etc...ethanol draws moisture..

Often times have filled my tank with ethanol in times past...only
to have my engine stumble badly at stop lights...had to use seafoam
to fix the issue...never ever again will I use ethanol..

Best wishes

100% fact & I totally agree!!
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Only half of the story is being told here.

Fact:
If an engine is regularly used, there will be no effects from 15% ethanol in the short term. Damage will always result when fuel is stored for long periods (longer than 30 days) untreated. The ethanol is a form of fuel treatment. It helps prevent water saturation in the fuel, which causes spitting, sputtering, missing, etc.

Fact:
Newer engines have upgraded rubber seals and plastic components to resist short term damage from ethanol. Older engines/fuel systems can absolutely have short term damage from ethanol in the fuel.

Fact:
Most high quality fuels (BP, Sunoco) have additives that neutralize the corrosive effects of ethanol on metal fuel system components.

Fact:
Where Ethanol Free fuel is not readily available, up to 15% Ethanol (E15) can be treated with a product like Stabil 360.

My opinion? If you have Ethanol Free fuel available to you, use it, but don't store it. If you regularly let your fuel sit in your equipment/vehicles for long periods of time, you need to treat the fuel. Gasoline is a solvent and it will attract water while in storage. Every fuel system is vented and allows air from outside into the tank. If the tank is not full, it has room inside for humid air and water will condense inside from temp swings. Water then settles to the bottom waiting to get sucked up inside the carb. Your engine will spit, sputter, miss, etc. Without the Ethanol, the water cannot be dispersed and suspended and burned up, it will collect and saturate the fuel.

It works. I've been using products like this for over 20 years in landscape equipment, golf carts, atv's, tractors, generators. I have 15 pieces of equipment that have fuel in them year round, sometimes for a year without running. I use standard pump gas with a Stabil 360 type product (Lucas, Amsoil etc). NO ISSUES. I used my pressure washer over the weekend, it hadn't run in almost 2 years. Fired right up and ran flawlessly. I have NEVER had to dispose of degraded fuel. I also store a good amount of fuel for emergency use as part of my preparation plan.

Tips:
*Use non-reactive approved plastic fuel containers (non corrosive)
*Do not store fuel in steel or aluminum containers (rust/corrosion)
*Always fill your containers at a high traffic station (new fuel)
*Always buy your fuel from a reputable brand (BP, Sunoco, Marathon)
*Add fuel treatment before you fill the container (to mix)
*Use a cap to prevent air from entering the container (plastic bag/rubber band)
*Store containers "FULL" of fuel (less humid air)
*When a container is partially full, use within 30 days (less water)

I have stored gasoline this way for up to 2 years and never had an issue.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
ethanol draws moisture..
actually alcohol dries moisture and it also disperses water that occurs in ALL gasolines so it can be burned. Doctors use ethyl alcohol to dry up water in cases of "swimmers ear". If ethanol attracts moisture then it would make "swimmers ear" worse.

Often times have filled my tank with ethanol in times past
I doubt you EVER filled your tank with ethanol Just playing. I know you meant "E15".

How much mpg? I tried this on my 2019 F150 for 9200 miles, no measureable increase in mpg. I have spreadsheets where I tracked it. Modern vehicles computers adjust parameters to create efficiency. You can't really over come that.
The gasloine debate has been had for years. There's usually a split in opinions no matter what. Seems people think there is a government conspiracy about it. There's always someone who gets 5 mpg improvement yadda yadda. I'll just follow science for now. I've been tracking my mpg since 2006. Being self employed and spending up to $12,000 a year in fuel makes you use science to save money.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO