lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
dejongchad
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 electric G29 need for speed help!

New to modifying and owning a golf cart. We have a stock motor with no upgrades yet. Looking to increase speed as we will using around town and at golf course. Reading through threads it looks like I have 2 options: 1) new 400 plus amp controller with possible solenoid upgrade?? Or 2) adding light kit with speed code. Looking to get speed (around 20) and keep some torque. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Not looking to upgrade motor as trying to keep cost down.
dejongchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 electric G29 need for speed help!

I would opt for new controller - then you control the setup rather than paying Yamaha for a speed code. Alltrax is my recommendation. If you have stock gears and stock motor, you can get about 20mph out of it. If you go with larger tires, you can get a bit more. I just upgraded my second cart to 215/50-12 tires which are about 20.5 inch diameter.
If you are driving on the road, I would go with a light kit anyway for safety. There are good ones available online with LED lights.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
dejongchad
Not Yet Wild

Would I need the solenoid upgrade too? By reading if you keep the amps turned down to 400 you should not be too hard on the factory items. Correct? Any other input?
Old 04-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I find with my cart that I never come close to 400 amps - 350 would be reasonable limit. I think the stock solenoid is ok unless you go with huge wheels and drive up a lot of hills.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
dejongchad
Not Yet Wild

Are there any places to find used controllers or better off buying new? So you are thinking a 400 amp controller should be enough. Also, best light kit to put on with easy instructions and installation?
Old 04-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I recommend a new controller - I would not touch a used one. Alltrax! I don't have a light kit recommendation since both my carts already had one installed when I got them.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
heardspencer
Not Yet Wild

With the Yamaha speed code installed and the 20.5" tires you would be right around 21 mph.
heardspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Indeed if you don't wanna speed a lot at the moment just getting the speed code from your local dealer (I'm a dealer and charge $150 for code here in Tampa area) and go up to the 10" tires that come stock on the new Yamaha drive 2's(we sell them as take-offs for about $35 each) and they will fit your cart without having to add lift...you will get to around 21 MPH...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I just put 12 inch wheels with 215-50-12 tires on my Yamaha. Overall diameter is 20.5 inches which does fit without a lift. That gains about 10% on your speed (2mph) I still think the dealer speed code is a bit of a rip-off and the stock Yamaha controller is not that good anyway so I recommend upgrading to an aftermarket controller. (then you can program it yourself)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
jjc33037
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am new to all of this however I also have a 2016 G29 and have similar speed issues plus my cart slows/ brakes on going down hills and holds the speed at 14mph so like you I am thinking about a new controller. By the time I have a dealer trailer my cart to their facility to do the speed code change, along with swapping out wheels and tires, I would end up spending almost the price of a new controller.
jjc33037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha