lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: '97 48V Battery light on intermittent & won't charge intermittent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michrider View Post
Hey again.

I'm still having this problem with this cart. Battery light will intermittently come on, and when it's on - the charger will not start.

Batteries and cables are perfect. 55.6 volts showing on the pack after a charge. Batteries are 1 year old, cables are all clean and tight.

Last time I got it to charge, it charged the full charge cycle, I unplugged the charger, and as soon as I pulled the charger plug out of the cart - the battery light came on. A couple hours later, it went off.

If the light is on, I can sometimes just turn the key on - go in reverse and forward a few feet and the light will go off. Push the charger plug into the receptical, and the light will come back on. I'll just have to try again the next day and sometimes the light will stay off and the charger will kick on.

Another odd thing - the battery state of charge meter alway reads full. Even after a couple hours of use and batteries drained way down.

Should the batteries be boiling toward the end of the charge? Last charge up, right toward the end when the charger was showing about 2 amps - I could hear the batteries boiling quite a bit. Is that normal?

Anyone have a service manual that shows what to check when the battery light is on? I'd hate to buy a new OBC and still have the same problem. I'm good with electrical/wiring repairs, but don't have a manual for this cart.

One more question. Is the OBC the module on the passenger side? Or is it the thing on the drivers side with the battery cable running through the hole? I take it that things is measuring amp draw. Any diagnostic tips on how to tell which one is causing the problem?

I tried the OBC reset procedure several times - no change.

Many thanks!
Yep !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been having basically the same problem with my 97 Club Car with the red light on the dash. For troubleshooting, I bypassed the OBC, and plugged in the charger, and it immediately came on and started charging. After hooking the OBC back up, red light on dash came on again, and charger would not kick on. I tried this several times, bypassing the OBC and charger kicks on. I have a new OBC on the way, supposed to be delivered Wednesday of next week. When it gets here and I get it installed, I sure as heck hope the charger comes on like it should!

I found instructions on how to bypass the OBC for troubleshooting in another thread here, but basically the following is what I did to bypass it. On the back of the charging receptacle is a grey wire with an in-line fuse. I unplugged the fuse receptacle, and wired from the side going in to the charging receptacle to the negative battery terminal on #6 battery, or the back driver side battery. Plugged in charger and it immediately kicked on.

You might give this a try, and if your charger comes on and starts charging, it sounds like your OBC may be the problem. We had tried another charger on our cart with no luck, and our charger worked on another cart, so that ruled out charger problems.

I'll post next week whether the new OBC fixed my problem.

Good luck with yours.

Bob
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have the original light in the dash if it is red, the early OBC's had a high failure rate. Best guess OBC is bad. Check with sponsors for a price.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

As promised, I am posting to let you know that replacing the OBC seems to have fixed our cart. After replacing the OBC and plugging in the charger it kicked in after about 10 seconds, then shut off for a second and came back on and was charging away when I left it. Hopefully it will run great this weekend if I get to play golf because of all the rain we are getting!

Good luck with your problem, and check that OBC!
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
As promised, I am posting to let you know that replacing the OBC seems to have fixed our cart. After replacing the OBC and plugging in the charger it kicked in after about 10 seconds, then shut off for a second and came back on and was charging away when I left it. Hopefully it will run great this weekend if I get to play golf because of all the rain we are getting!

Good luck with your problem, and check that OBC!
Good work bricks, 1 down and 1 to go
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car