lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
mcobbs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Resistor Coils - Lack of Power

I have a late 80's Ezgo Electric using the resistor coils to control speed...

Here's my problem -
When pedal is fully pressed, the arm that passes over the 5 contacts, doesn't ever fully reach the 5th contact... it basically stays between the 4th and 5th contact. As a result, I never get full power to the motor, my top resistor coil stay red hot during use, and I don't have enough power, especially uphill...

Can I - adjust the arm that slides over the contacts
Or - adjust the rod attached between it and the gas pedal
Or - disconnect the top resistor coil, or rewire the coils so I get
full power, even though the selector arm won't fully advance...
(basically, can I get full throttle even at 75% pedal, that would be fine to me)

IF I adjust the rod or control arm, will this affect the neutral contact?
for example, it may result in the arm being stuck between the 1st and 2nd contact at the lowest point....

Thanks...
mcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor Coils - Lack of Power

First thing first - What is the condition of the batteries and cables? The coils only see the voltage form the power source

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
mcobbs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The batteries are all good, less than 6 months old, and are holding a charge, and testing good under load. My cabling, has all been disconnected and cleaned, it appears to be standard or factory wiring... (I'd really rather not have to upgrade all the wiring to a heavier guage... ) My only hesitation on the wiring is this - At the motor, there are 3 connections, one on each side that connect with a nut, and then one that goes in the top (I suppose depending on the orientation of you motor, this is my MIDDLE wire) AT any rate, this connection appears to be "rigged" with a hose clamp... This connection is a little odd (sort of a metal tube coming out of the motor) and I'm not quite sure how this is "supposed" to attach...

IF I really JAM on the pedal, sometimes I can feel it give me that extra power. So I still feel like it is an adjustment of the "contact arm" whatever
that is actually called...
mcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

If I remember correctly on my old(82?) ezgo there was a threaded rod/ acclellarater rod that could be adjusted by shortening or lengthing rod by the threads. Look and see if yours has the same. BBBBut, if cart was running fine before, I don't think it in the throttle rod.
Check and make sure the contact has not "built up" from arcing to where the throttle can't overcome the resistance. (slag on contact will not allow contact arm to hit high speed). Contacts can be filed down, but you will need to find why the arcing occurred.
I have no idea what is going on with the rigged motor. Call EMP, one of our sponsers and they may be able to help you.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

under the cart there is an adjustment you can lenghten the rod but make sure you dont adjust it were the slider is off of the bottom contact or opens the microwitch.

i am with Buckman you need to take a picture or a detailed drawing of the assembly and remove it from the cart were you can really look at it check the contacts and the slider contact to ensure it is good. you can rebuild the board for about 25-30 bux by replacing the contacts and the slide contact. as for the motor it sounds like someone broke off the stud in the i bet if you looked in the motor someine took a piece of copper and clamped it to the brush wire inside
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO