lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
davet
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Disable Regen Braking

I did a search to see if there was a proven method of defeating regen without any ill side effects,short of putting a motor on it that regen has been removed,all I found.The cart is a 2000 DS 48v Regen,the replacement controller eliminated the regen solinoid,the regen system now operates properly,but at very low speeds it seems to be choppy as if it were going in and out of regen.I'm sure unplugging the speed sensor will disable the regen but does anyone know if this can be done long term?
Second Question:no reverse horn,horn is good and powered,not getting negitive signal from controller when placed in reverse,I can provide neg with a relay but need a relay that will operate on 48v.May seem like a small deal but I can see me(after a few cocktails) or my lovely wife slamming into the motorhome.As always Thanx in advance guys!!!Dave
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Disable Regen Braking

You can eliminate the regen braking from this cart by removing the solenoid located on the driver's side of the car. This is called the "Dynamic Braking" solenoid. Cut the two small wires attached to the solenoid and tape them up. Remove both large white wires from the solenoid and discard the solenoid (Or keep as a spare as a replacement for the other solenoid) Discard the white wire that ran from the solenoid to the A2 terminal on the motor. Hook the other white wire to the A2 post on the motor. You should now have a wire running directly from the controller to the motor. Thus, bypassing the Dynamic braking solenoid. This however, will not keep the regenerative braking from working. You must do this by unplugging the speed sensor on the motor. This will not cause any ill effects like you had mentioned above. I've done this on plenty of cars per customer request without any complaints at all. The surging you were describing is most likely caused by a bad speed sensor anyways. About the reverse buzzer... That's probably going to be traced back to the controller. Those things have so many circuits in them and it's not uncommon for some circuits to fail, while others remain to work perfectly fine. You've probably got a short in the reverse buzzer circuit. Not really a big deal for the operation of the car, but it's annoying if you want the buzzer to work. It's also very expensive.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
davet
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You can eliminate the regen braking from this cart by removing the solenoid located on the driver's side of the car. This is called the "Dynamic Braking" solenoid. Cut the two small wires attached to the solenoid and tape them up. Remove both large white wires from the solenoid and discard the solenoid (Or keep as a spare as a replacement for the other solenoid) Discard the white wire that ran from the solenoid to the A2 terminal on the motor. Hook the other white wire to the A2 post on the motor. You should now have a wire running directly from the controller to the motor. Thus, bypassing the Dynamic braking solenoid. This however, will not keep the regenerative braking from working. You must do this by unplugging the speed sensor on the motor. This will not cause any ill effects like you had mentioned above. I've done this on plenty of cars per customer request without any complaints at all. The surging you were describing is most likely caused by a bad speed sensor anyways. About the reverse buzzer... That's probably going to be traced back to the controller. Those things have so many circuits in them and it's not uncommon for some circuits to fail, while others remain to work perfectly fine. You've probably got a short in the reverse buzzer circuit. Not really a big deal for the operation of the car, but it's annoying if you want the buzzer to work. It's also very expensive.
Thanx Tahoe,this cart was a salt water swimmer that everyone on the forum warned me not to fix but I wanted to learn sparkys,all componets are new even wiring harness.The controller is GE thru D&D and in the install instructions the Dynamic solenoid was removed so the regen function must be accomplished in the controller.The motor and speed sensor are new D&D so I'm going to sensor unplug and keep an eye on it.
As far as the horn,I rethought that, I can pick up a negitive at the pack gauge and positive off the reverse side of the F&R switch,no relay.I'm sure you read why I want it to work.Thanx again Dave
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Thanx Tahoe,this cart was a salt water swimmer that everyone on the forum warned me not to fix but I wanted to learn sparkys,all componets are new even wiring harness.The controller is GE thru D&D and in the install instructions the Dynamic solenoid was removed so the regen function must be accomplished in the controller.The motor and speed sensor are new D&D so I'm going to sensor unplug and keep an eye on it.
As far as the horn,I rethought that, I can pick up a negitive at the pack gauge and positive off the reverse side of the F&R switch,no relay.I'm sure you read why I want it to work.Thanx again Dave
Yes I understand there is no relay... All of this is controlled through the controller on a Regen car. The F&R switch sends the reverse signal to the controller, then it comes back out of the controller to the buzzer. That's what I think is going on... it's receiving the signal, but there's no output to the buzzer.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
wtc88c
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This may be a stupid question, but regarding the dynamic braking solenoid.....does is close to provide dynamic braking, or does it open to create dynamic braking (is it normally open contact, or normally closed?)?
wtc88c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The controller actually provides the motor braking. The dynamic braking solenoid was just a way for Club Car to try and dissipate some of the excess heat from the process. It didn't really work very well, therefore they discontinued the second solenoid for the 01 Regen 2 cars and the 2002-Present IQ and Excel cars. The DB solenoid closes when accelerating. If not, you'd be trying to pump power through the resistor coil while trying to run. That's why whenever you find a DB solenoid stuck closed the car moves VERY VERY slow and the resistor coil glows red. It's designed to open the circuit upon motor braking and close upon pedal down.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
thomslik
Not Yet Wild

I found an easy way to disable the regen on my 2001 CC regen without anly wire cutting and hacking. There is a small cover on the rear (shaft end) of the motor held on by 2 screws. Remove it and there is a small round magnet on the end of the motor shaft. It has one small allen screw through the center, holding it to the shaft. simply remove the magnet and screw and put the cover back on. Thats it!

It's easily reversible by reinstalling the magnet.
thomslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomslik View Post
I found an easy way to disable the regen on my 2001 CC regen without anly wire cutting and hacking. There is a small cover on the rear (shaft end) of the motor held on by 2 screws. Remove it and there is a small round magnet on the end of the motor shaft. It has one small allen screw through the center, holding it to the shaft. simply remove the magnet and screw and put the cover back on. Thats it!

It's easily reversible by reinstalling the magnet.
Yes that's correct, but people keep in mind that this will not work on a 2002+ IQ car.... This is the same concept as un-plugging the speed sensor. Works great on your model car and won't hurt a thing. Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK so I may be missing it but how do I disable the regen on my 05 precedent? I think it has the code 3? because it runs 15-17mph with stock tires and only upgrade is 2ga wires. But I still feel the regen holding it back on the declines. If its going to hurt anything I dont want to do it but if its safe I want it gone!!
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauman View Post
OK so I may be missing it but how do I disable the regen on my 05 precedent? I think it has the code 3? because it runs 15-17mph with stock tires and only upgrade is 2ga wires. But I still feel the regen holding it back on the declines. If its going to hurt anything I dont want to do it but if its safe I want it gone!!
Your regen is holding you back because of the speed setting. Every speed setting has a designated MAX speed that it will allow the vehicle to run. Power is irrelevant to this.. It's all based on RPMs of the motor. Speed setting 3 equals 16MPH with 18" Tires and a good battery pack. Speed setting 4 will allow you to go 19.6MPH but the regen is still going to get you slowed down. Just at a higher speed before you feel it. The only way to completely eliminate it is to install a motor with a modified speed sensor such as the PlumQuick motor. Their speed sensors cut the signal in half and actually trick your cart into thinking it's only running half the speed it's truly running. Therefore the 3rd speed setting would equal 32MPH.... and unless you truly do some serious mods to it, you'll never reach that speed. Therefore the regen is basically "bypassed" It's there... but you'll never reach it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car