lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Default Robins revving/engine speed problem

I am working on an 80's model 244cc robins engine. The problem is when you hit the gas it takes about 30-40 seconds before the engine will build up enough rpms to engage the clutch. Also on any type of incline it slows down and just won't climb. On flat ground it will eventually jump up to speed but it takes forever and I have to watch out for inclines.

I don't know compression numbers but I just replaced the rings and cylinders were honed (jumped into this project to help a friend who already started the honing/ring process). After rebuilt there is no smoke when running and without the clutch belt it will rev really high. It has enough compression to blow a spot in the leaves on the ground. Also, (with the seat gone to visually inspect), when you give it gas the engine cranks up but takes about 20 seconds to build up enough rpms to move the clutch then the cart kind of hops as the clutch engages. then another 10 second to start moving smooth. level ground only.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
bajamanjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robins revving/engine speed problem

Is it either fuel starved or drowning in fuel? Sounds a lot like the one I picked up from a friend of mine. Once I got the fuel supply issues straightened out it's a peach.

New fuel lines and filters and a clean carb made it run like a young pup instead of one that's 21 years old.

Good luck!
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

OK thanks, it actually has an electric fuel pump vs the stock mechanical pump, from my understanding this was just added by my friend...that might be the issue.

thanks again
Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Also check that your crank seals aren't sucking air.

Spray a little carb cleaner around them and see if the motor changes pitch.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks stove, will do
Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I had the exact same symtoms with my 86 and here is what I did to cure it.

First put the cart on axle stands so that it doesn't run off on you.
Remove the air filter and check to make sure it is not blocked. It's a long shot but you should do the easy stuff first rather than leap in with both feet
Now remove the fuel line to the carburetter and point it into a jar. Crank the engine and ensure that you are getting a good flow to the carburetter. If you are then reconnect the fuel line.
Now remove the pilot or primary jet. This is the brass looking screw that goes vertically down from the top near the fuel line. If it clogged up then gently ream out the holes with some copper wire from an electrical cable (copper is soft enough not to damage the orifices). Replace the jet and hope you fixed it. If not then you need to remove the carburetter. Drain out the fuel turn it upside down and remove the nut that holds the bowl on. Remove the bowl and inspect the nut. This is your main jet and needs to be cleaned in the manner above. Now you can see the float and you need to see if it does actually float. Pull out the pin that forms the hinge (be very carefull not to bend the pin), remove the float and the needle valve that the float actuates. You will also see the main nozzle which you can unscrew, remove and clean its many orifices. Clean the residue out of the bowl and anywhere else, I like to use carb cleaner but that stuff is vicious so I recommend that you use safety googles and even rubber gloves. Assembly is just a reversal of disassembly. You will have destroyed the gasket so before you start you might want to buy a couple of new ones or a tube of liquid gasket. I used mega grey as it is the same color as the carburetter and doesn't make your engine look like crap. Whatever you do make sure that everything is tight air leaks around the carb cause all manner of nasty symptoms.
I hope that this all makes sense, it is always easier when you have done it rather than reading about it. If you need photographs let me know and I will post a few pointers
Good Luck
Dave Box
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I hope to work on it this weekend.

JC
Old 09-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Hey Guys, I ended up buying this cart so now I have more time to work on it at the house. I do have fuel pressure/volume but I think the electronic fuel pump might be flooding the engine so I hooked up the stock mechanical pump but I get no fuel when the cart's engine turns over. I have tried swapping the hoses on the pump thinking I might have crossed the lines on accident.

Does anyone have a diagram out there of which end of the fuel hose goes where? Also, I am going to replace all the fuel lines and get a new filter, any suggestions on filters or any will do? And who do you guys by your parts from (fuel pumps, belts, etc..), web sites?

Thanks again guys for all the help,

JC
Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

on the stock pump, the fuel line from the tank goes to the passenger side nipple, and the drivers side (output) goes to the carb. As to a new pump, any of the sponsors should carry one, they're around $35
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
bajamanjc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Brew, I also heard that the mechanical fuel pump needs compression to work? Is that true, on cars they have an arm that works off the camshaft on some and crank on others.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO