lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Red Eagle
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 Volt EZ GO charger not working 28115 G04

I plugged my charger into my cart and it doesn't hum or work. I took it apart and put a test light on the two terminals on top of the black relay on the board. The test light lit up. I don't know how to go from there. All wires seem to be connected. I took the plug apart that goes to cart and everything looked ok. There is a little black tab that says 50 and i assume that it is some type of fuse. It doesn't look cracked or damaged. Could the relay still be bad if the test light works on the jumped wires? Does the relay just plug into the board or do you have to buy the whole board? Is there any other tests that I can perform. I tried to charge another cart and it wouldn't work on that one either so it has to be the charger or cords but the cords look good.
Red Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 Volt EZ GO charger not working 28115 G04

Since you have tried on another cart, I suspect the charger is bad assuming you know at least one of the carts you tried to charge was running? The relay is an integral part of the board. you can change the relay but 50% of the time that won't fix it and 50% of the ones it fixes come back with same or different problem within a yr so I quit changeing relays.... just buy the new board and be done with it.

You can pull the 2 black leads off of the relay and connect them together for a transformer test. Plug the charger in the cart.....note the cart voltage. Plug the Charger into the household AC and recheck the cart voltage to verify output.

Do not leave the charger like this as it will not charge in the 3 phases or auto shut off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

OOPS - ScottyB snuck in while I was typing - and I overlooked the part about trying charger on different cart.
Still might be beneficial, so I won't delete.

Welcome to the BGW Forum.

If your battery pack voltage is too low, your PowerWise charger will not turn on.
With the charger plugged into AC outlet, plug the charge plug into the cart. Do you hear the relay Click?
If not, check the battery pack voltage. (It has to be above something like 28 or 30 volts for the charger to come on)

For troubleshooting and maintenance, you'll need a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter. An inexpensive one from local auto parts or super-store will suffice.
Test lights are handy at times, but most of the voltage readings for carts are defined to one or two (and sometimes 3) digits to the right of the decimal point.

Read the STICKY:s at the top of the Electric EZGO forum. The bottom one has Owner, Service and Parts manuals that can be downloaded.
The service manual has step by step troubleshooting for chargers as well as carts.

Also go to ScottyB's website and read everything about the care and feeding of batteries. (Several topics - read all)
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Hope this helps,
John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And Welcome to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
dwg31630
Not Yet Wild

I have a 28115 G04 charger and it doesn't seem to be working correctly. When I plug it into the charger will click on, peg the volt meter on the charger to the right and then click off. It will do this about six times and then click on and sound like it use to and seem to be charging. However after letting the charger connected for twelve hours the cart isn't nearly charged like it use to be. I have two carts and plugged the second cart into this charger and the outcome was the same.

I can't seem to find an owners/operators manual on line to see what test I can perform to see if in fact the charger is defective. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I also think the batteries in the one cart must be near end of life. As I have another charger which is a different make and style that I plugged into the cart I normally charge with the 28115 G04, and the batteries did not hold the charge more then about five minutes.
dwg31630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

Attached is the manual for a PW 28115, but about the only thing that will peg the ammeter without blowing the fuse is the capacitor going bad, so also attached is how to check the capacitor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text-1.jpg (367.7 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO