lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: brakes, axle and lug nut issue

that and you can try adjusting the cable also............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Didn't get to work on the cart tonight, but I did have a chance to take a quick look at it. My CC does not have the bolt that extrudes from the top rear of the hub assembly, that allows you to loosen or tighten the brakes so the exterior hub can slide back on the unit. Now what??? The brake cable is not conected at the front end, so there shouldn't be any pressure on it, should there? I need to see some pics of a club car brake job.
lanestephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your brake cable isn,t connected on front end than the brakes shouldn,t even work??? if both sides are like that....usless its set up different somehow its the cables that work the brakes...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Okay..let me back up and explain what I'm up against. When car was being driven, felt like the brakes were dragging. When in neutral, took much effort to manually push the car with brake pedal not pressed. jacked car up and gave gas. passenger tire spins when giving gas. driver side rear should free spin. It did not free spin. In would only turn when much effort was applied to it by hand, so i figure I've got a brake problem. Cart it lifted. I ordered brake extension kit and installed. Cart still having same problem. So, I took the brake cable loose from front of cart and driver side rear still not turning as it should. took rear tire off (which you will remember I had to buy cobalt bits to drill out a spun lug). Once tire was off I then removed the brake cable from the rear of the brake housing (which I have now read I believe is the self adjusting mechanism). When I did that, the outer hub started to turn much easier. Again, this only happened after the cable was removed from the self adjusting mechanism. With the cable off, I could slide the outer hub back over the pads, but when I did that I could not get sufficient the brake cable to stretch back far enough to connect to the self adjusting mechanism. So, I pulled outer hub off, reattached brake cable to self adjusting mechanism, and now can't get outer hub back on. Its like the brake cable is pulling he self adjusting lever forward. Even if I pull back on the mechanism, is still dosn't seem to come back far enogh to release tension on the brake system.

I went to pick up the lug I ordered today, and purchased a can of brake cleaning spray. I'm going to spray every thing in the brake assembly down good tomorrow night or Friday and see if that helps.

I replaced a set of brake pads years ago on my Mazda pick up and I don't remember it being that big of a deal. If I could find pics of a diagram from a service manual, and instructions, it would surely help, but I've searched the net high and low and cannot locate any PDF file showing the brakes on an 03 CC.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

There is a good chance that your cables are sticking within their shrouds. Very common on sparky carts. Remove the entire cable assembly and see if you can push/pull the cable by hand. If not, try hanging them vertically from a garage rafter and dripping some oil down the cables, letting it soak in overnight. The next day they might free-up for ya.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

Thanks...I'll give that a try.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have been through enough frustrating crap. Order yourself a new pair of cables and brake adjusters (one right, one left) and fix it right and be done

It is not uncommon for an old cart to need new cables... have you found the adjusters on your brake shoes yet?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

You are right it has been frustrating, but that's part of the fun of learning and doing yourself, right??? I mean, that's what I'm telling myself anyways. LOL. Okay, I pulled the cable of the driver side. The cable slides within the casing at the front part, but at the back there is no movement of the cable sliding within the housing at all. I pulled down the rubber protective piece and it looked pretty nasty underneath. A good bit of rust. I'm hanging it over night just to hang it and put some 3 and 1 oil on it. I doubt it will help, but what the heck.

The brake adjuster. Yes, I see the adjuster. Its the piece at the bottom that has the arm sticking out that the cable attaches to, and inside there is a rod running horzontal with what looks like a rachet on the end. I read in a previous blog that you need to turn it back in after completing a brake job and before reassembly, and it will reset itself. I was trying to figure out if I could screw it back in and loosen the tension.

After all the cables were off, I did get the drum back on. I put the wheel back on and the tire spins around about 270 degrees before it then hits a little dragging spot. I'm trying to figure that out now...still wondering if he adjuster needs to have more pressure let off of it?? On the outside of the assembly, just forward of the arm on the adjuster, I see a single nut. do I need to loosen that nut slightly to reduce tension?

I have not had a chance to search for the adjusters on the Net to purchase. The past 72 hours have been busy beyond words, but I'm about to start a search. I'm probably going to heed your advice and order cables tonight, and adjusters if I can find them.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
lanestephens
Not Yet Wild

So, after all of this struggle, turns out it was the driver side brake cable that was bad. My only problem now is the lug that I had to drill out. I purchased a new lug and am having trouble getting the new lug to mount. I've tried using my impact wrench, coupled with a some heavy washers and the lug nut, but can't get the thing to pull thru the hole in the hub. Any ideas, or am I going to have to pull the axle off and take it to someone with a press?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car