lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lifted DS

Guys

How will my 03 DS IQ handle 6" lift, 14" wheels and 23" tires? Motor and controller are stock. I have read many threads about burning up controllers and motors but most seem to be on the 36 volt ezgo pds and series carts. My driving will be mostly street use with no hills.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lifted DS

a quick & dirty indicator of acceptable operating temperature is to place your hand on the item after maybe 10 or 15 minutes of normal operation, if the motor/controller is too hot for you to hold your hand on for more than a few seconds, its too hot.

also, partial throttle kills. your controller and motor are much happier at WOT vs something like creapin' through the woods.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
a quick & dirty indicator of acceptable operating temperature is to place your hand on the item after maybe 10 or 15 minutes of normal operation, if the motor/controller is too hot for you to hold your hand on for more than a few seconds, its too hot.

also, partial throttle kills. your controller and motor are much happier at WOT vs something like creapin' through the woods.
-sj
SJ

Good to know however I don't want to run the test after I purchase the wrong setup. Creapin not a problem however since I currently run 15mph and my foot rarely comes off WOT.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

just a suggestion but i would go to at least a 400 amp and 4 gage cables..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
just a suggestion but i would go to at least a 400 amp and 4 gage cables..............................

I have heard that on a PDS cart you NEED to upgrade when running a larger tire and wheel package. Does my DS have the same issue? Someone mentioned on a DS you could also use the stock controller and run a PQ Bandit with no issues.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

i have 23's on my dads iq cart with upgraded controller, motor, and 2ga welding cable. she over heats going slow. but, it rarely happens when its wide open (around 35mph)
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i know of lots of carts with lift/tires and running stock elecs. however the question is how long will they last??? don,t know..............it has to be harder and get hotter on the stock setup which may mean an eariler failure?? so many what ifs.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

shadow, that just gives a great excuss for upgrades
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car