lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
gadust
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 club car that doesn't go all the time

I have a 99 club car that I bought this spring. All it needed was 6 new batteries (48 volt system) and it has worked great for hunting and running around the farm. About a week ago I noticed that if I was going down hill and took my foot off the gas when I got to the bottom of the hill and put my foot back on the gas it just clicked loudly back by the motor but nothing else happened. I could let off and it would click again, then when I pushed down again I was usually off and going again. That has progressively gotten worse over the last few days until just a few minutes ago when I took it off the charger and tried to back it out of the shop. Now when I press the gas it will click back by the motor and not go anywhere 4 out of 5 times I try. I got oit to make a loop thru the yard and then I parked it back in the shop and I check the batteries and they are at 51 volts. I'm not real mechanical but nothing you ask me will insult me, I just want to know what to look for to get it running right again. I tried reading some of the posts on here and some of them talked about the brushes on the motor needing replacing or the solenoid being bad so I was hoping someone could lead me the right direction.

By the way, I hope to upgrade the motor to a more powerful/faster one sometime in the future but the more I read about it the more I get confused about what all I will need, so if I need a new motor I want to start that direction if I can.

Thanks.
gadust is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
gadust
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 club car that doesn't go all the time

OK, tonight I went out to the shop, turned the key on and pressed the gas. It clicks and tries to go forward an inch or so, turn stops. After 4 or 5 presses it will take off and run fine. Stop and it might take right back off or you might get a slight bump forward (or backwards, depending on which way the switch is flipped). Maybe this will help someone give me an idea on what to check next.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadust View Post
OK, tonight I went out to the shop, turned the key on and pressed the gas. It clicks and tries to go forward an inch or so, turn stops. After 4 or 5 presses it will take off and run fine. Stop and it might take right back off or you might get a slight bump forward (or backwards, depending on which way the switch is flipped). Maybe this will help someone give me an idea on what to check next.

Thanks
Hi,
Did you check for tight and working cables? Maybe a cable has been slowly getting loose and now it's too loose to keep the current flowing? Just a thought..I'm not familiar with your cart, so that's all I can offer. The pros will want to know the exact model of your cart to better assist you. Read the stickies on how to tell what cart you have. Good luck
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

if it works fine until you stop and restart....look closely at the solonoid.

Lot of amperage has to go thru the contact points. If they are burnt sometimes you will get a point (like a metal droplet ) on one of the internal contacts.

This will give you a voltage test reading as -ok , but will not pass heavy amperage.

I dont know which solonoid type you have . On a club car i have opened up the soloioid by carefully cutting the coil wires off the terminals .

upon inspection or filing flat..you can re-solder the coil wires back on...

however ..why not just invest $40 or so and buy new.

needless to say...this all assumes that you have already checked every wire and terminal for a tight or burnt connection first
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
gadust
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys - I'm headed out to the shop right now to look at all of the wires and connections and then I will move on to the solonoid.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like solenoid failure to me. Solenoids are voltage specific, be sure to get a 48v unit.

If you are going to upgrade controller and motor later get a unit with at least a 200 amp continuous rating
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
gadust
Not Yet Wild

Well, upon closer inspection, it turns out that the battery cable coming off the negative side of the battery pack and going thru a plastic box (that is 4" x 6" by maybe a 1/2" thick) has a large melted spot in the coating, with copper wire exposed that is showing significant corrosion. I can't believe I didn't see that earlier this week!!!

So I have a few more questions - Is that plastic box my OBC that I've been reading about? Does that wire just go thru it? Does the wire have to go thru it or could I reroute it?

Sorry for all the simplistic questions but I don't know anything about these carts but want to learn.

Thanks again
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Well, upon closer inspection, it turns out that the battery cable coming off the negative side of the battery pack and going thru a plastic box (that is 4" x 6" by maybe a 1/2" thick) has a large melted spot in the coating, with copper wire exposed that is showing significant corrosion. I can't believe I didn't see that earlier this week!!!

So I have a few more questions - Is that plastic box my OBC that I've been reading about? Does that wire just go thru it? Does the wire have to go thru it or could I reroute it?

Sorry for all the simplistic questions but I don't know anything about these carts but want to learn.

Thanks again
I don't know about your cart, but on mine the cable coming off the last battery in the pack (4 or 6) on the neg side goes through the OBC and then to the controller. It has to go through the OBC so your charger will function, as the OBC senses voltage from this cable. Maybe you need all new cables? Give scotty a call, he can hook you up.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
gadust
Not Yet Wild

I just checked out his website. Looks like I found the place to get the parts I need and maybe a few more questions answered.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
I just checked out his website. Looks like I found the place to get the parts I need and maybe a few more questions answered.

Thanks everyone!!
Smart move Chances are if one cable is bad, others are getting close. Hate to have your cart catch fire You should consider going with 4 gage cables, maybe even 2 gage if you plan on high performance upgrades.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car