lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Black, carboned spark plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
first ,i would try running a hotter plug, to see if that helped burn of the deposits.
second, i would replace the jet to one level back
third, i would check out my valve guides and valve stems,

last but not least, i would call tom......and yess, spend over a 100 bucks just to get the free shipping!!!! looking down at the ground shaking my head sideways,atleast thats what i tell my lovely bride
How would you check the valve stems ? Lateral movement is virtually undetectable unless you you have access to some serious equipment.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Ease up guys!

Look... my cart is an 07, which makes it 4 1/2 years old, and I treat this thing better then I treat any of my other stuff!
So I highly doubt that anything is majorly wrong with it... I just feel it needs a bit of "fine tuning"!

The main reason I started this thread is because... well... I never really said!

I let a friend take my cart while I took his snowmobile... he had "a few" beers and he didn't know that it stayed running! (idle)
I came back with the sled 15 minutes later, and there my cart was... idling!
I turned it off, had a beer or 2, or 3, or 4.... and when I started back for my camper,
my cart sputtered, and stalled... sputtered and stalled... etc. all the way back.

I knew it was a fouled plug because it was idling for so long (something I never let it do!)
I gave it a quick "scrape" with my pocket knife and It seemed "good to go",

I replaced it with a BP4ES this last weekend, and readjusted the air pilot screw a bit,
So I guess I'll just see what happens this coming summer!

and also... it wasn't as "blackened" as I thought, but... it's not near as "clean" as I would like it to be!

I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Don, i,m just taking a guess here but i would try putting a stock jet back in the carb......i,ll bet that cures it.............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I thought about that also Tom! and I still have it! BUT...
My concern is how (badly) it'll run with the K&N air filter, and the stock jet,

When I first bought the cart, I "modified" the air box for more air flow, and it ran like shhhhh... well.. you know!
(that was my first experience with how "finicky" the Club Car air to fuel mixture ratio was!)

I think with the hotter plug, and a bit of "putzing", I may get it to where it's supposed to be! (I hope!)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

every cart i have ever seen with a K-N air filter has had running issues one way or the other in this part of the country.....i don,t think they are made taking all things into account and just from what i have seen they seem to be a problem......but tweak away my friend if anyone can do it you will....................................
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
I thought about that also Tom! and I still have it! BUT...
My concern is how (badly) it'll run with the K&N air filter, and the stock jet,

When I first bought the cart, I "modified" the air box for more air flow, and it ran like shhhhh... well.. you know!
(that was my first experience with how "finicky" the Club Car air to fuel mixture ratio was!)

I think with the hotter plug, and a bit of "putzing", I may get it to where it's supposed to be! (I hope!)

The cart engine was never designed to idle and as such the carb was always a compromise between stopped and flat out. Tis the nature of the beast from the factory. You are exploring new parameters with the idle and quite simply, Kawasaki never figured this in. It's a mass produced carb built and designed for mass produced golfers that don't require an idle. Factor in our addiction for "Faster and Better" response and it's hardly any wonder that we don't get "exactly" what we want from standard equipment with bolt on parts is it ?

FC
Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
The cart engine was never designed to idle and as such the carb was always a compromise between stopped and flat out. Tis the nature of the beast from the factory. You are exploring new parameters with the idle and quite simply, Kawasaki never figured this in. It's a mass produced carb built and designed for mass produced golfers that don't require an idle. Factor in our addiction for "Faster and Better" response and it's hardly any wonder that we don't get "exactly" what we want from standard equipment with bolt on parts is it ?

FC
Yep, your right FC! and that's why I said: "I may get it to where it's supposed to be! (I hope!)"
I'd really prefer to try not to go back to the stock air filter, jet, and non-idle,
and whether it comes out to my satisfaction, or not, there's no harm in trying... is there?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i agree with 2 out of 3 i would keep it so it idles but as for the jet in the carb the gain is very minimal and me i would dump the K&N and look for something else......but the jet i think is the major problem and from what i have read the little bit of gain ou get isn,t worth it.......................
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
It's not oil!... it's carbon build up! (sooty)

I'll have to agree with changing the jet size, but, I'll wait a bit longer to see other opinions!

Here's a chart LOCKMAN1

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm

this is what your talking about, Carbon Fouled

Soft, black, sooty deposits easily identify this plug condition. This is most often caused by an over-rich, air/fuel mixture.
Check for a sticking choke, clogged air cleaner, or a carburetor problem - float level high, defective needle or seat, etc.
This may also be attributed to weak ignition voltage, an inoperative preheating system (carburetor intake air), or extremely low cylinder compression.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Just a passing thought Don. It has occurred to me that these engines were supplied to John Deere etc in large quantities for lawn tractors etc where an idle is a requirement. IF, the idle circuits were adjusted for those applications then perhaps one of those carbs matched to an appropriate main jet might be the solution ?

FC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car