lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
rrfarm
Not Yet Wild

Default G16A will not start without the choke

Hello i am new to golf carts and this forum so any advice will be appreciated. I have purchased a 98 g16a that does not want to take off when you mash the gas pedal unless you pull the choke cold or hot doesnt seem to matter. When you do get it going if you mash the gas all the way down it bogs down but if you pull the choke it takes off good. It has a new spark plug and good spark i have pulled the fuel line to check for flow and it pulses when you mash the gas so i dont think its the fuel pump. The carb doesnt seem to have the usual adjustments screws except for looks like an idle screw. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16A will not start without the choke

Hi. Your cart is running too lean-choking it richness it up so it runs like it should. Look for a vacuum leak, like the carb. being loose or a bad carb. to manifold gasket. There's an idle mixture screw as well as an idle speed screw on the carb., but if the cart runs bad at low and high speeds, these screws aren't causing the problem (not saying they don't need adjustment too). Make sure the gas is good and fresh and the fuel filter clean. Good luck and welcome!

Jim
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
rrfarm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply jim. Cant say exactly what the problem was i removed the carb hosed it down with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and blew it out with air per some other post i found with similar problems put it all back together with careful care of the gaskets you mentioned and so far it is running alot better. It need a new air filter have one ordered should be here tomorrow hope that helps a little too. I totally agree with the lean just didnt know how to fix it. Would you mind telling me where the idle mixture screw is you referred to is. The only adjustment i saw was the one right behind where the throttle cable attaches to the carb. Again thanks and good to be here.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Make sure that the air cleaner lid is tight and not leaking. Check the spacer under the carb for cracks.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The idle mixture adjustment screw is at about a 45 degree angle on the top of the carb. The mixture screw may have a black plastic limiter on it put there for anti-pollution purposes that can be heated with a torch until you can pop the limiter off (be careful not to set your cart on fire!). If the mixture screw is missing, it would cause the problem you're experiencing.
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
rrfarm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks jim it is there just didnt know what it was because of the limiter not letting it rotate enough to cause a difference.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Just take the carb off and clean it. The main jet is located in the float bowel area, so any debis or now Ethynol gas can clog it. You can remove the black plastic limiter cap on the air mixture screw, but it really doesn't matter. Yes the air box should be fitted and sealed correctly also. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
rrfarm
Not Yet Wild

Ok guys i'm back. Took the carb off and cleaned and blew it out with air didnt take it apart just the bowl. Put it all back together with new air filter ,plug and fuel filter. It ran great for about 4 days then back to the way it was. What now? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would say the carb. will need to come completely apart and jets cleaned. I had never had one apart when I done mine, just watch how it comes apart then you can put it back.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Get your self a set of welding torch tip cleaners to use in all jets.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha