lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Jeep-Rally
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G14A has spark, fuel, air -no start

Sorry for long post, but figured too much detail was better than not enough...

Bought 1995 G 14A late last year. Ran poorly when I purchased it, replaced filter and plug, new gas, ran great since. New battery this spring just because the other one was old.

Cart stays at campground -edge of fields, access to rockbar onto Ohio River so I've been running around in dust, dirt, etc. I was running it two weeks ago and it started to bog down like I was at half of current throttle position, a quick pull of the choke and it came back into it just fine. Problem went away for a week (so did I, cart sits several days during week under cart cover). Fuel filter was a little dirty, not bad but I purchased a new fuel filter and new plug while I was at it. Driving around this weekend (before the new plug and filter installed) and it died. To be honest I don't remember if I was parked and no start or died as I was pulling in to park.

I had been playing the radio all day by the river and was running the radio and lights at night when it happened so I thought maybe low battery.

Towed back to camper , charger hooked up overnight, replaced fuel filter and spark plug first thing the next morning. Still won't start. I have great spark, plug is wet when I pull it out, oil appears clean (no gas), using the old thumb over spark plug hole (and hand over carb intake) compression seems good, pulled line to carb after fuel pump and shooting gas out probably 9-10" when turning over. Air filter seems ok, but unhooked completely from carb for testing. While turning over shot some WD-40 into intake on carb- nothing, then backfire out the carb (all still turning over after shot with WD-40). Plug out, turned over several times then put a small cap of gas directly into plug hole. Plug back in and absolutely nothing. That was all the troubleshooting I could do yesterday with no internet access.

To me I have to go with timing at this point but I haven't worked on carts at all. Looking at wiring digram today I had traced the red/white wires from ignition coil to a silver box (with cooling fins) that I believe now to be the ignitor. Ignitor wires go down to a "pack" mounted on the engine block that appears to be the pickup (and also where the spark plug wire begins and runs to spark plug). There is a red wire from pack that goes down below the cart somewhere but I couldn't see where it went to. All that from memory and one old photo. Cart is still @ camp. On wiring diagram I don't see that wire going anywhere.

So I'm going out tonight and drag it home. Anyone have any ideas on what I can check and how. I don't want to just start replacing parts @ random. Also being a 95 is there any chance I should be looking at parts for G9 or G16 (the extra red wire, etc.) Thanks as always, Cory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pickup.jpg (166.7 KB, 0 views)
Jeep-Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G14A has spark, fuel, air -no start

There should be a fuse, I'm not sure where it is on a G14.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Jeep-Rally
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

There is a fuse just left of the coil. It's a 15amp, I checked and it is still good. It's the only fuse I've been able to find. I crawled around all over it and under it last night in the garage, checked every connection I could see and everything looks fine.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Without the airfilter and air box hooked up they will backfire and spit gas out. If you sprayed into it with WD40, you may have fouled your plug. I think the silver box is your voltage regulator. The ignitor box should be a black box mounted below your starter solinoid or on the other side below it. I have a neighbor that had this problem and it was his ignitor. When it failed to start/run, it had a weak spark. This is a pretty expensive part so I suggest checking everything out before just buying a new one. My G9 did this, but it was the wire plug in on the side where the starter generator wires are located. Check all plugins, unplug and plug back in. New sparkplug too! Good Luck!!
clayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Another thing is check to make sure your valves are working. Check and set the gap at .004" cold TDC.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Jeep-Rally
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks clayfor. I actually bought two plugs and swapped both before and after the WD-40. I was down to the coil pulsar but from what I'm reading they're usually broke or not. The spark I'm getting is very good, even clearly visible in bright sunlight so I'm thinking it's not weak spark. It's just odd other than the one bog two weekends ago it was running perfect all weekend then completely dead. Like something just instantly broke.

I'm going to start into it tonight and check the valves tonight. I don't know exactly the difference between the G9, G14, and G16 engine other than the G14 is different than both, I'm thinking a hybrid and more and more research people are breaking lifters on the G14 so I'm guessing it's a weak point in the engine.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I know the engines look alike, but are not. The G2-G9 and G14 all have different ignitors. Looking at TNT Golf Cars on the internet, there's not much difference in the engine itself. If you find out what it is let us know for future help to others.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Double check your fuel for water! Drain the carb bowl into a jar or other glass container so you can see it well. Just because you don't see a stratified layer of water doesn't mean there isn't any. If you have been using regular gas you are also getting up to 10% ( I'll bet it's more sometimes ) ethanol. Take your sample and cool it with ice packed around the container. See if you get a layer of water then. Anyway, clean your bowl and jets and then take some fresh premium fuel and fill the bowl of the carb with it ( a shampoo bottle or similar works great for this ), plug the line that is removed from the carb, and see how it runs. The engine should run 10secs or so with the fuel in the carb. If Ok now, the bad news is to replace your fuel! I would use premium fuel in your cart from now on. Yes, it's more expensive, but it has better cleaners in it and usually less alcohol! I've had nothing but trouble with carburetted fuel systems ever since we got stuck with ethanol mixed gas!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Jeep-Rally
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Low and behold. Went home @ lunch, quickly pulled the valve cover off and the lifter had fallen off. Pulled it out, looked clean (no gouges, etc.). Put it back in place, two bolts back in valve cover and hit the gas. Fired right up.

Ran for just a few seconds to know it was fixed, oil draining now just to be safe and another oil change after this weekend. Will adjust everything when I get home tonight and get it back together.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. A fix that cost me only an oil change, fuel filter, and spark plug (which it needed all 3 anyway). What a great day!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Jeep-Rally
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry, had to share. Feeling so good I'd fixed my problem with no extra money spent, went home and put the drain plug in and added oil. Now the oil light won't go off. Oh well, I'll drive it this weekend to see if I have a piece of gunk on it and change the oil again next week.

At least we (guys at campground) will have an excuse to stand around drinking beer while looking "under the hood" of the cart! Happy Carting Everyone -Cory
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha