lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default How to make my G16 go Faster?

I just recently upgraded from a G1 to a G16. I live in a small town and we are allowed to drive golf carts around town. I was wondering if there were some simple things to speed up the cart. The G16 motor and governor are alot different than the G1 that i was used to. Do you tighten the nut in or loosen the nut out to make the cart faster? Any comments will help thanks alot.
golfinbricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: How to make my G16 go Faster?

I just picked up a G16A recently and just got it running (had bent pushrod and siezed lifter). I never had it running with the cables hooked up to the governor... cable coming off the throttle pedal was destroyed, so I replaced it with a slightly shorter cable, running straight to the carburetor. This bypasses the governor on throttle linkage on the differential casing, allowing the throttle blade on the carb to open all the way.

So all you'll need to do is disconnect the long cable (the one that runs to your throttle pedal) from the governor linkage on the differential, discard the the short cable that runs from the governor to the carburetor, and attach the long cable directly to the carburetor. Should only take a few mins to do. My cart must've done close to 25 MPH on stock-height tires when I took it out on the road the other day. With taller tires (22" or so) they claim you can hit around 32MPH in a G16.

You won't hit your top speed quickly... it'll take some time for the motor to get you there. Just keep your floot planted and it'll get there eventually. Just don't keep your foot planted going down a hill or you might over-rev. Many also suggest switching to syncthetic oil when you bypass the gorvernor.

-Andrew
AGrayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks alot for the reply AGrayson84. When you bypass the governor will that hurt the motor or not. Also with the governor bypassed does the cart still work good at low speeds to putt around while looking for a ball while golfing?
golfinbricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have done a jet kit, K & N type air filter, Gov. bypass see sticky thread and 23" tires with windshield and 2 people 30 ish MPH. You just have to be careful or you will over/rev. it and blow it up on down hill run. It does not hurt anything other than that.
You tighten it up if you want to do it that way.
They do have a speed spring also that people say works well I just haven't used it.
Hope this help's some.

LURCH!!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have the 10mm bolt on the Gov tightened up all the way on both of my G16s. Not sure how fast they go, but it is plenty fast for me.

I think putting that power kit spring in the back of both of them, helped a lot with the low end power, but I think it killed the top end some.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha