lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha Speed Spring Installed, Still Not Faster???

I just recently bought a G16 Yamaha Golf Cart and it is allowed to ride golf carts in the town I live in so i wanted to make the cart run a little faster. I tightened the 10mm nut in all the way and also put the Yamaha speed spring on from Cart Parts Plus and it didn't make the cart any faster. It ran 19 mph before and after i put the speed spring in. (10mm nut is tightened with the speed spring in as well) What is my next step to try to speed my G16 up???
golfinbricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Speed Spring Installed, Still Not Faster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinbricks View Post
I just recently bought a G16 Yamaha Golf Cart and it is allowed to ride golf carts in the town I live in so i wanted to make the cart run a little faster. I tightened the 10mm nut in all the way and also put the Yamaha speed spring on from Cart Parts Plus and it didn't make the cart any faster. It ran 19 mph before and after i put the speed spring in. (10mm nut is tightened with the speed spring in as well) What is my next step to try to speed my G16 up???
That's very strange. Could you have possibly broken the plastic colars/spacers used in the speed spring setup and its binding? They have alway's worked for me. Have a picture of the govenor set up? Maybe a call to Tom would help.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is a picture of the spring. The 10mm nut is tightened as far as it can go and the cart still acts like its not wide open.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

[IMG]C:\Users\Owner\Documents\JOSH\spring.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (11.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

if you're really brave, take the throttle cable off that runs from the petal to the govener, then take the cable from the carb to the govener and throw it away, put the cable from the petal to the carb, now you've bypassed the govener.
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinbricks View Post
[IMG]C:\Users\Owner\Documents\JOSH\spring.jpg[/IMG]
Can't really tell from the small picture, but cable #2 looks like it has a lot of "slack" in it. You do want some (so the throttle shaft doesn't open before the ignition fires-or you'll get backfireing) slack, but not to much or the throttle cant open all the way. Just a thought.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
OregonMike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Location: Anywhere Near Roseburg, Oregon, where I can find some twisties!

When I installed my speed spring, I then had to adjust the throttle cable to get it to fully open. Took a little playing with, but a mechanic I is NOT!
OregonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
golfinbricks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The cable is a little bit loose but not very much. When I have the key off and push on the foot pedal the cable is as tight as it will go. I posted a new pic of the Speed Spring. If you guys see anything wrong that i did let me know. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (164.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You really need a lift and big tires or high speed gears to get some speed. You can get a little this way but even with no governor you only get 5-5.5K rpm, its not much more than with governor. They are gear/rpm limited. I put gears in an old flathead club car with a rev limit and it did 28mph out of the box just under the limiter, completely stock cart otherwise just adjusted the governor up to where it hit the rev limit. My G9 goes 30mph gps with no governor and 22" tires, but it is screaming high rpm I hardly ever run it there for long just short runs.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
OregonMike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Location: Anywhere Near Roseburg, Oregon, where I can find some twisties!

You know, now that I read what speed he was getting, I only get about 28-29 MPH on GPS, with 22" tires, gov cranked down and the speed spring...

ALSO: 25 mph is WAY more than enough speed to get more than a little out of control. I am just sayin....
OregonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha