lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
citrix_guy
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Noisy Rear End... Trying to figure it out (pics)

So I got my cart back from my sister-in-law and she toasted it some how.

I now have this harmonic almost rubbing/grinding noise coming from the rear end of my g16 (Gas). Imagine your tire or something rubbing on the frame but with a wobble. Replaced the drive Clutch, and belt, both rear axles checked and bearings for the axles ok. Brakes also checked for rubbing... all look great.

Put it up on jacks and run the motor and as RPMs increase the noise and speed of the harmonic Rub-rub-rub-rub sound speeds up.

This leads me to believe it in the shaft from the driven clutch into the rear end...
so I pull the driven clutch and the inside (closest to the trans) sheave looks like this:

notice how that top portion of where the shaft runs through (a seal or bearing or something) is kinda pushed in but the bottom portion is flat against the metal of the sheave?

Now comes the fun part. Inn addition to the sheave I can lock the brake on and there is a little slop/play on the input shaft to the trans, about an 1/8 of a turn or so... is that normal? I can just grab it with my and and move it back and forth before it stops.

When I release the brake and spin the rear wheels by hand I hear some clicking and some sound of like metal rubbing from the trans/input shaft area... I suppose that is NOT normal.

The input shaft has the Spacer on it and a power spring has been put in, whats the proper steps to take this shaft out and inspect this thing for broken parts? Any ideas... new shaft? new bearings? Is this thing going to be a major bitch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheatland-20120724-00044.jpg (193.5 KB, 0 views)
citrix_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
citrix_guy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G16 Noisy Rear End... Trying to figure it out (pics)

So I took the trans apart to see if my problem was deeper and sure enough the input shaft bearing is not turning and seems a little cock-eyed.

I am tempted just to get a new input shaft though this one seems fine and straight... but at 300 bucks for the kit thats a bit steep.

Also as far as the input shaft bearing does that need to be pressed out and in? or can it be tapped in a'la rubber mallet?

can I just order a input shaft bearing by itself (and of course a transmission gasket and pumpkin gasket
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrix_guy View Post
So I took the trans apart to see if my problem was deeper and sure enough the input shaft bearing is not turning and seems a little cock-eyed.

I am tempted just to get a new input shaft though this one seems fine and straight... but at 300 bucks for the kit thats a bit steep.

Also as far as the input shaft bearing does that need to be pressed out and in? or can it be tapped in a'la rubber mallet?

can I just order a input shaft bearing by itself (and of course a transmission gasket and pumpkin gasket
To change the bearing you'll need to remove the idler gear (there's a spiral retainer spring clip), then remove the seal (probably needs to be replaced anyway if the bearing is bad), just use a punch and hammer to drive the bearing out to the (inside) of the side case. It's critical to use a new side case gasket so the tolerances are correct. You don't need to take off the rear cover, but if you do, no gasket, just RTV sealant.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
citrix_guy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
To change the bearing you'll need to remove the idler gear (there's a spiral retainer spring clip), then remove the seal (probably needs to be replaced anyway if the bearing is bad), just use a punch and hammer to drive the bearing out to the (inside) of the side case. It's critical to use a new side case gasket so the tolerances are correct. You don't need to take off the rear cover, but if you do, no gasket, just RTV sealant.
sounds good. The bearing is shot. (BTW its a 96 g16 gas)
Any idea where I can just get a this bearing, seal and new transmission gasket? The gasket tore at two corners.
I saw an input shaft repair kit for 300 bucks that has all those, but it also has an input shaft... which I dont need. On Vintage golf parts.com I see input shaft bearings for g14s, but not g16s... did they change?

Also there are two "arms" in the trans that come off a rod that is attached to the governor. how to these re-line up in the trans? are they BEHIND the end of the input shaft or in front of the end... Couldnt see them as I pulled out the gears.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Blachermeier
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever find your answer to this? I’ll be reassembling soon and will have the same question

“Also there are two "arms" in the trans that come off a rod that is attached to the governor. how to these re-line up in the trans? are they BEHIND the end of the input shaft or in front of the end... Couldnt see them as I pulled out the gears.”
07-27-2012 05:49 PM
Blachermeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=83774

This may help. Pics from the service manual on page 2 and 3
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha