lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
mitchabum100
Not Yet Wild

Default my cart runs hot

Hello, i have a 95 g9 that runs hot. I have had for a couple years and it runs fine,just hot after only a couple of minutes. I have never touched the governor and have changed the oil. On a side note the oil cap says it takes 1 qt of oil but wen i drained it, 1 1/2 quarts came out. How much should it take ? not sure if it is the correct cap.
mitchabum100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: my cart runs hot

If an air cooled engine is running hot then it might not be getting enough air flow under the hood. Check to see if the engine shrouding is all intact. The shroud is designed to direct air flow around the cooling fins of the engine to cool it.

Also, what kind of weather conditions were you running it in? If it was very hot out then that will contribute.

And what kind of activity were you doing? Putting around in the yard is what these carts were made to do. If you were pulling an implement, trailer, or if you had it fully loaded with people/equipment then it could run hot. Also, repeated top speed runs will make it run hot.

Get the oil right, change the air filter and drive it around the yard for 20 minutes and see if it gets hot. It shouldn't.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You may have to clean the cooling fins on the engine. They can get clogged with dirt, oil and debris and as a result the engine overheats. If this happens too often, the engine will start burning oil (like my cart did) and I had to replace the rings.

To clean them out properly, you have to remove the plastic shroud from the engine. It splits in two pieces, and to do it, you need to remove the exhaust and the carburetor and spacer. Not too big of a job. I was able to reuse my gaskets, not sure if you will be that lucky. Once all the screws/bolts are removed, the shroud comes right off. Be careful as there are a couple of bolts that are hard to see.

You will be surprised at the amount of guck in there, and if you clean it all out, the engine should not overheat anymore.
rlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
clayfor
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Only put 1 QT of oil in it. If you put more than that it might start smoking and dump oil into the air cleaner.
clayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha