lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
acg274
Not Yet Wild

Default G-16 Clutch or other problem

I have a G-16 with a Plowman’s Performance Kit in it. I spent the summer driving up steep hills with heavy loads. I then started to notice a vibration at about half throttle. After camp ended, the ranger noticed the vibration was getting worse. When I went back to check on it, there was not just a vibration but it would slow down to an almost stop in the time it took for the gas pedal to come off the floor. I jacked the cart up and ran it and both clutches seemed to open and close as they should. I then drove it with the seat off and it seemed better except for vibration. I drove it around for 15 minutes and the problem came back. The cart then started bucking and going slow yet the engine sounded fine. I am still thinking the problem is in the primary clutch and I was planning to replace it this year because the faces are showing a lot of wear. My question is what else can cause this so I can rule it out before I buy a new clutch and still have the problem and no money to fix it. Thanks Carl

Last edited by acg274; 08-16-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
acg274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G-1g Clutch or other problem

I would start by checking the primary for flat rollers. If ok, clean it and give it a shot or two of grease (no more!). While you are in there, check to see if the center bushing has excessive play. Then check the drive belt for excessive/abnormal wear. If you have been doing some "heavy haulin", maybe you have burned some flat spots into your belt. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
acg274
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
I would start by checking the primary for flat rollers. If ok, clean it and give it a shot or two of grease (no more!). While you are in there, check to see if the center bushing has excessive play. Then check the drive belt for excessive/abnormal wear. If you have been doing some "heavy haulin", maybe you have burned some flat spots into your belt. Good luck - RAY
The belt is fine no flat spots and I did grease both clutches. I am planning on buying a complete new clutch so I do not want to spend any time or money on this one. I looking for other ideas that could cause this problem so I can buy a new clutch and still have to fix an expensive problem. thanks Carl
acg274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Re-read your original post. When the cart bucked and slowed down but the engine sounded fine, did the clutches shift back or was the slowdown due to added drag somewhere ?? Did you check the oil in your gearbox? Could you have a frozen brake cable causing brakes to grab? Just a few thoughts to try to help isolate your problem. RAY

PS - I have an electric cart in FL that, from time to time, will exhibit a fairly hard vibration,(almost like out of balance or out of round tires). I haven't been able to sort this out yet and it drives me crazy !! (75 % of the time it is perfect). I've checked everything and have given up on it. - Good luck.

Last edited by bigstik40; 08-16-2012 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: add ps
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha