lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default g-2 charging problem

my issue with my g2 is that at full throttle (taking voltage from the battery) the meter reads 12.3 volts and when i throttle it down it lowers around 11 something. so the next thing i did was redid the test but at the starter/generator and same thing.. i just replaced the brushes in the starter generator before the test because thats what i thought was wrong. so my first question is does the "generator side" use the same brushes as the "starting side"? i have read about the vr going bad, but i ruled that out by hooking the meter right up to the generator..right?

thanks
donetheconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: g-2 charging problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetheconversion View Post
my issue with my g2 is that at full throttle (taking voltage from the battery) the meter reads 12.3 volts and when i throttle it down it lowers around 11 something. so the next thing i did was redid the test but at the starter/generator and same thing.. i just replaced the brushes in the starter generator before the test because thats what i thought was wrong. so my first question is does the "generator side" use the same brushes as the "starting side"? i have read about the vr going bad, but i ruled that out by hooking the meter right up to the generator..right?

thanks
I'll try to help...First-with meter on battery, car in nuetral, start and rev up the engine. You should find battery voltage before starting somewhere between 12 and 13 volts ( a fully charged battery), as you rev up the engine you should read between 14.5 to 15.5 volts and that means the charging circuit is working correctly, to low-battery won't charge, to high-will fry the battery. As for the brushes, when you push on the accelerator, the "starter" just turns over the engine till it fires up on the electronic ignition system, at that point the starter is "free wheeling" and is turned into a generator. The real tests of the charging circuit are, test output at the battery (14.5 to 15.5)/ unhook an test the ohms of the red and green wires at the starter/generator feild (the charge coil wires) should be 5 ohms/check continuity of the red and green wires to the voltage regulator (no continuity-broken wire in harness)/ check voltage on black wire at voltage regulator (should read battery voltage). G2's voltage regulator(if a stock Hatatchi) can be adjusted (take off the cap there is a screw with a jam nut) you can turn it in or out and check voltage again. Sometimes the contacts get pitted or stuck and adjustment helps ,but if there that bad, the VR should be replaced. G9's and up used an AVR (automatic voltage regulatr) and if bad are throw away. Hope that helps you do somemore testing.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
donetheconversion
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g-2 charging problem

thanks smallblock turns out i was testing the wrong wires on the starter, so i was just taking the voltage of the battery again.. woops.. so it turns out my red wire ( the one thats paired with the green one) had a break in it.. so before when i was replacing the brushes i noticed the inside was really black! so this time i spared electronic cleaner in there and cleaned it up..so ill find out today if it solved my issues.

thanks again
donetheconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha