lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

Question G1A Fuel pump question

Newbie here...I recently bought a used G1A from an elderly guy who was unable to start it. He was in poor medical shape so I didn't think that was a big deal, but now I'm stuck with it.

I have run the cart but it's an experience. There is an electric fuel pump cobbled in line between the tank and the carb, and the power for it is a wire with an alligator clip...I found out why when I started it. With the electric pump connected full time, the cart runs at full speed with no throttle control! You can imagine how scary that was the first time I ran it. So, I disconnected it, but in that case the cart only runs for about 50 yards or so, and then dies and won't restart unless primed by the electric pump.

I see in the parts diagram that I need a stock fuel pump that is driven off of engine vacuum. Can someone provide me a detailed photo so I will know how to mount it? The vacuum line has been blocked off, and when the engine is running it seems to run just fine. I need to know how to mount the fuel pump and any other details before I invest the money to buy it.
jbfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1A Fuel pump question

There should be a bracket under the seat where the seat connects to the cart. It is just a square piece with 2 holes in it just over from the hole for the choke cable.
Buckstivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfjr View Post
newbie here...i recently bought a used g1a from an elderly guy who was unable to start it. He was in poor medical shape so i didn't think that was a big deal, but now i'm stuck with it.

I have run the cart but it's an experience. There is an electric fuel pump cobbled in line between the tank and the carb, and the power for it is a wire with an alligator clip...i found out why when i started it. With the electric pump connected full time, the cart runs at full speed with no throttle control! You can imagine how scary that was the first time i ran it. So, i disconnected it, but in that case the cart only runs for about 50 yards or so, and then dies and won't restart unless primed by the electric pump.

I see in the parts diagram that i need a stock fuel pump that is driven off of engine vacuum. Can someone provide me a detailed photo so i will know how to mount it? The vacuum line has been blocked off, and when the engine is running it seems to run just fine. I need to know how to mount the fuel pump and any other details before i invest the money to buy it.
hello it mounts right under the carb, right by the vac hookup on the engine, what year is the cart? I have a 81 g1 and i hookup a new fuel pump, i tried the elec one, but it didnt work good, i replaced my seals and it pumps great and runs great, goodluck
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Most likely you'll need to replace the crank seals as well. Its prob why they put an electric pump on it. If you have the tools it will cost less than 100 dollars and take about 3 hours to do yourself. There are guides on this site telling you how to do it. If they haven't been replaced they are probably bad.
Mrrogers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
mrtbone49
Gone Wild

Yamaha

get rid of pump an mix...alot easier, I blew my engine when pump went out..wont happen again...
mrtbone49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all who replied...according to the s/n it is a '79 cart. I did find the mounting bolt holes for the fuel pump and will get a stock pump along with a few other parts.

I'll get the parts on order and will probably be back here after installing them. I've already ordered the service manual.
jbfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There are two pumps the fuel and the oil injection.

Is likely you could use any gokart pump on it if the stock one is pricey. Look for oil coming out of the crank seals or spray something in them when running to check them. It will run a lot better with good seals.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
kyguy58
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Where did you find a service manual for it? I have been looking for about 2 months now and can't find one for a '79. Good luck with the cart
kyguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quickest way to check seals is put a tube on a propane torch. DO NOT light the torch. Jack up rear end to get wheels off the ground or remove drive belt. Start the engine and THEN turn on the propane. place the tube as close as you can to the seals. If it revs up or runs smoother, the seals need replacing. The ONLY tool that is not standard is the clutch removal tool (about $45) Yamaha is metric......
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

G1 Manuals are no longer available. You can down load the parts manual at Factory Parts Manuals

Part Number: PU900

OEM Part Numbers -

You can download Yamaha Factory Parts Manuals for free from Yamaha. Go to: http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsan...smanuals.aspx# Click on View Parts Catalogs and then fill in the boxes.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha