lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Starter issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Not sure what year your cart is, but the older carts had a mechanical regulator (Hitachi), which is adjustable. The newer carts have a solid state regulator (not adjustable) but replaceable. 17 volts at your battery would indicate a voltage regulator problem. Good luck - RAY

PS-Better keep an eye on the water level in your battery until you get things sorted out.
I think it's an older mechanical regulator ill get you picture, how easy is it to adjust it if it is adjustable?
aarolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I gave you some incorrect information in a earlier post. The voltage output range of your generator should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts (not 13.5 to 14.5). 17 volts is still too high and would still indicate regulator problems. Sorry for that. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I gave you some incorrect information in a earlier post. The voltage output range of your generator should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts (not 13.5 to 14.5). 17 volts is still too high and would still indicate regulator problems. Sorry for that. - RAY
It only really spiked 17 volts one time so it may be fine Ill check it closer again before I dig in too deep. I assume adjusting it is as simple as turning a screw in or out? I am new to S/G voltage regulator systems but I have some experience working on my '69 Cub Cadet and '72 El Camino but I am much more versed in newer systems.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I forgot to mention that it is very difficult to get a steady reading if you use a digital voltmeter (the voltage is pulsing between bat. voltage and 17 volts). It would be best to use an analog voltmeter which would give a much better, steady, average reading. Give that a try if you have an older VOM. If your reading spiked up to 17 volts once and is jumping around, I have a feeling that your regulator is probably OK- RAY
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I forgot to mention that it is very difficult to get a steady reading if you use a digital voltmeter (the voltage is pulsing between bat. voltage and 17 volts). It would be best to use an analog voltmeter which would give a much better, steady, average reading. Give that a try if you have an older VOM. If your reading spiked up to 17 volts once and is jumping around, I have a feeling that your regulator is probably OK- RAY
I believe so as well after checking again even though 15.5 seems kinda high to me but if that is what it is supposed to be then I'll leave it alone.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's the high end of the factory listed range. I'd keep an eye on battery water so you don't cook it and keep adjustment on your to do list for a later date. I've never done it myself but I've read about it here on the forum. Apparently there is a screw under the regulator cover that you screw in or out to adjust voltage. Good luck - RAY
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha