lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Using your knowledge BGW

What is the purpose of wire attached to the heat sink circled in the attached picture?

The heat sink is both physically and electrically attached to the frame and no wires should be attached to the frame electrically. (Safety issues)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140322_185347_zpsbbd7e3b0 circled.jpg (142.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Mudhill
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What is the purpose of wire attached to the heat sink circled in the attached picture?

The heat sink is both physically and electrically attached to the frame and no wires should be attached to the frame electrically. (Safety issues)
JohnnieB..That is a filter kit that was shipped with the controller. It says per the instructions that " Some EZGO ITS throttles are susceptible to noise on the frame of the cart. The inclusion of the enclosed filter kit will reduce the noise and allow the SPM and the ITS throttle to function properly ".

I mounted per the instructions... B- terminal to mounting screw closest to B-
Mudhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unique to the SPM I think.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It appears to be a capacitor in the pictures of it I found on-line from a couple different vendors, which isn't a major safety issue like connect B- to the frame with a wire would be. Strange that Alltrax doesn't mention it on their site, or at least I couldn't find any mention of it.

I guess I learned something new today.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From the Alltrax SPM manual: "Some EZGO ITS throttles are susceptible to noise on the frame of the cart. This can affect the SPM's auto calibrate feature for the throttle. The inclusion of the enclosed filter kit will reduce the noise and allow the SPM and the ITS throttle to function correctly."

It is 4.7uf FWIW
Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
From the Alltrax SPM manual: "Some EZGO ITS throttles are susceptible to noise on the frame of the cart. This can affect the SPM's auto calibrate feature for the throttle. The inclusion of the enclosed filter kit will reduce the noise and allow the SPM and the ITS throttle to function correctly."

It is 4.7uf FWIW
Thanks kernal. Nice to know it actually is a capacitor and the µF value.

What is the Document# (Printed on bottom left of last page) and the Page# of the manual you found that statement in?

I suspect it is DOC113-001-C, since the link to that manual on the Alltrax SPM page doesn't work and it is the only EZGO related one I haven't read cover to cover.

------------
Tying the frame to B- through a capacitor is an interesting concept and it may have other uses. For example, it might reduce electrical noise on some radios and audio systems, or improve the operation of some high current ammeters that are erratic at mid-range throttle settings.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #27
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

DOC113-001-B

The filter kit instructions are actually a separate sheet like a supplement. It is titled "SPM EZGO Filter Kit Installation Instructions"
P/N: DOC114-001-A

Came from Scottyb (carts unlimited) less than a year ago.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks kernal. I cannot find either document on-line.

I can find a later reversion of the operators manual (DOC113-001-D), but no DOC114-xxx-x documents at all.

Hopefully, remembering that tying the frame to B- though a capacitor is an Alltrax inspired concept won't overtax the few brain cells I have left.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO