lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #51
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: JohnnieB's computer gave up the ghost.

Your experience with electric golf carts is going to come in good getting that new computer running.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #52
rib33024

This same thing happen to my computer a few days after it happen to you JohnnyB, i'm just getting everything back to normal, what a pain
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #53
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is definitely a similarity between working on carts and computers.

While I was registering my new motherboard, I noticed the the motherboard in the computer that died was registered in 2007, so it was 7 years old. I retired a couple years after I built it and no longer had to keep up with computer technology, so I didn't and now I'm amazed at how much the technology has change since then.

I've gotten the computer hardware more or less figured out and now the stumbling blocks I'm running into are mostly due to going from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS, but I'm getting there.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #54
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A computer can insult one's intelligence but nothing rubs it like a golf cart in trouble.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #55
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My last 2 computers have been 64bt. I'm out of the woods on driver compatibility but that first 64bt system was a bear. Of course I lost my auto cad...actually I have the old computer still if I need to run it or find some other old STUFF.

You find yourself enjoying the fast clean operation, so you don't transfer all you had on the old one..... but then slowly you realize your missing this or that. 6mos later I'm still transferring a thing or two. I hope you got Solid state HD
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #56
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My last 2 computers have been 64bt. I'm out of the woods on driver compatibility but that first 64bt system was a bear. Of course I lost my auto cad...actually I have the old computer still if I need to run it or find some other old STUFF.

You find yourself enjoying the fast clean operation, so you don't transfer all you had on the old one..... but then slowly you realize your missing this or that. 6mos later I'm still transferring a thing or two. I hope you got Solid state HD
Fortunately, the peripherals I've connected so far have 64-Bit drivers readily available, but I'm going to upgrade to Win-7 on the computer we use for Photo stuff and I've got my fingers crossed for an old 35mm film scanner, a flatbed scanner and a dye-sublimation printer that are connected to it. I may have to make that a dual boot system, but MS is ending support for Win-XP in April, so I might end up replacing some of them.

The only important software that won't run under Win-7 is Quicken, I'm still using a MS-Dos version from the early '90s.
I guess I'll finally have to upgrade to a Windows version.

Not yet on the Solid-State HD(s). I've got two 1TB in it now and when everything is running properly that way, I'm going to clone a small (<256GB) SSD for boot and programs only.

Also will be adding some NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices when things settle down a bit. Basically, I bringing our home computers and network system up to date so I don't get blindsided again. Classic case of closing the barn door after the horse gets out.

I'm on my old K6-II system at the moment because the new system is installing 117 Win-doze updates. Hopefully, when it finally gets through and I can boot it up again, my Laserjet will be installed and working. (SWMBO has fifty something copies of a family trees she wants to print and get into the mail.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #57
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

All my machines are 64 bit now, but I still have a number of progs that are XP or earlier. I keep an XP machine for legacy devices and progs.

I had a SCSI scanner and ZIP drive that I had to update the card for just to run on XP. XP was the first OS that would run all of my devices. 98 had to disable some devices to get others to run. Plug and pray finally got working on XP.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO