lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default PDS alltrax trouble

Got on my cart today and it wouldn't move. It's a PDS cart 48 volts with an Alltrax DCX 400 and a Plum Quick Bandit motor. The green light on the controller is on but when I hit the pedal I get a red light that blinks 5 times. According to the alltrax troubleshooting guide it's an open field code. I did notice that the solenoid dosent click. The strange thing is it was running fine , I parked in my garage and it hasnt been driven in a few weeks and now it won't move. Where should I check first? Could it be a bad motor just from sitting? Thanks for any help
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: PDS alltrax trouble

Well, i would start by unplugging the field wires from the controller and hooking a ohm meter to the wire ends to see if the "field is open".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With the older DCX software, you may get a false "Open Field " error when changing directions or cycling the throttle. (Contract Alltrax for later version of DCX software.)

The more significant symptom is the solenoid not clicking when pedal is pushed.

The controller is being powered up or you wouldn't be getting the error code, so the most likely problem is the controller is not getting pack voltage on Pin-5 in the 10 pin connector on top of DCX, from the pedal switch when the pedal is pushed.

Most likely suspects are the inline connector between pedal pox and cart's wiring stock harness, or the pedal switch itself.

But it could be the connection between stock wiring harness J-4 and PDS to DCX adapter or the connection inside the adapter that feeds J4 Pin-2. (Since the DCX powers up, the PDS to DCX adapter can be pretty much eliminated except for that single connection inside it.)

Attached is a DCX in a PDS schematic with Pin-5 (Pedal switch) highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - Pedal Switch traced.jpg (330.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

jb, if he is getting a code it may not allow the solenoid to close.. Just a thought..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We found this code when field wires shorted out on the frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4938web.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just checked pack voltage , it was 49.1. I was hoping I was reading the code wrong and it was 6 flashes instead of 5. Should both big terminals on the solenoid have 49.1 volts ?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When the green light is on on the controller and I push the pedal the cart moves a tiny bit then the red light blinks. With the key off there is 41.9 volts on both big posts on the solenoid, shouldn't the solenoid close and make contact when the pedal is pushed? Is there a way to check the motor with a DVM ? I find it strange that everything was working fine when I parked it inside and the next time I got in it i have a problem
Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Until you get the solenoid clicking when the pedal is pushed, it doesn't matter if the motor is good or bad.

Until you get the solenoid clicking when the pedal is pushed, it doesn't matter what the voltages are on the solenoid's large terminals.

What does matter is the voltage at Pin-5 on top of the DCX controller when the pedal is pushed.
(You will have to lift the 10-pin connector slightly to access the pins to measure the voltages on them.)

If you are getting pack voltage on Pin-5 when pedal is pushed, then the next step is to measure the voltage at Pin-7 on top of the DCX controller. It should be full battery pack voltage before the pedal is pushed and drop to Zero after it is pushed.

BTW: The fact the cart moves a tiny bit when you push the pedal tells me the motor is probably good, but the solenoid contacts are not closing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FYI - If the solenoid has a precharge resistor in place you will read pack voltage on both sides of the resistor. If you want to read voltage on the solenoid main contacts remove one end of the resistor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I didn't think about the resistor giving me voltage on both terminals. I'll check the voltage on #5 and #7 when I get home tonight. What could have gone bad from just sitting?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO