lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
OSU_Cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon: Shorted a wire while hooking up volmeter and now the batteries are sparking

As the title says, i was hooking up a voltmeter on an EZ-GO Marathon and i shorted a wire (hot wire that was going TO the voltmeter). I quickly pulled it away from the body.

Then I unhooked both 16 gauge wires from the positive and negative of the batteries. I forgot to initially re-tighten the wingnuts. I checked to see if the cart will still function. One of the back batteries sparked.

Once I realized, I tightened the wingnuts.... figured that was the problem. It wasn't. One the back terminal that arced finally burned the wire off. I also noticed one of the wires on the passenger side getting hot but not as bad.

Cart was running fine until I shorted a 16 ga wire to the body.

My daughter is going to KILL me. It was her 13th bday gift.

Please help if you can.
OSU_Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon: Shorted a wire while hooking up volmeter and now the batteries are spar

Post pics of the battery post & wire problem. Maybe we can see whats wrong.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
OSU_Cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon: Shorted a wire while hooking up volmeter and now the batteries are spar

Where it broke loose was the rear battery on driver-side, negative terminal. Sorry that the pics aren't clear.

FILE0001.jpg

FILE0003.jpg
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
OSU_Cart
Not Yet Wild

Is it possible that this connection was loose the whole time (wingnuts) and the short maybe made it worse? And that the looser connection made it arc so bad that it burned off the connector?

How important is it to have a very tight connection on the terminals?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

As you have now seen it is very important that all connections be clean, bright and shiney and that all connections are tight enough to not come loose during use. As these issues will cause heat to build up to the point that something melts....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Take all wingnuts off, throw them in the trash, then replace with an actual hex nut so it can be properly tightened.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
OSU_Cart
Not Yet Wild

As it turns out it was a loose connection. I thought I really messed something up. I'm used to working on cars and this wound never happen.

But 36V at 75A is something I've never dealt with.

Agreed... wingnuts are going to be gone! Right now I've got them cranked down with a wrench.... and they were ALL loose.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
OSU_Cart
Not Yet Wild

Just a quick thought....
36V X 75A = 2700W DC power
120V X 15A = 1800W (House power... although it's AC)

That's a lot of power under our seats!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO