lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default To Voltage Reduce or Not

Let me start by saying that being a mechanical guy (piping) I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. The 48 DS volt cart I bought is being transformed into a hunting cart. The former owner added a digital pack meter wired thru a switch and a pair of cheap halogen driving lights surface mounted to the front cowl. At the moment the only accessory I need on the cart is driving lights (keep it simple!). I have found some 10 watt lights that are rated to operate between 7 & 50 volts DC. I know its better to draw accessory power from the entire pack to balance voltage drop but I don't want to look like a train coming thru the woods. Could a person wire 1 headlight to pull power from batteries 1-3 and the other headlight from batteries 4-6 thru a single switch? Just thinking a little outside the box. If I go the reducer route I'll be limiting the lights to 12 volts of power. Thoughts anyone?
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: To Voltage Reduce or Not

You could do that and it should work okay, in theory I see nothing wrong with it except the common switch idea. You probably need a switch for each light.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

You could use a single throw double pole swich the better setup would be to go to led lights i did what a differance my cart is 36 volts i found some led that were rated at 12 to 36 volt i use to climb a hill the old lights would dim now with leds no dimming uses less power and has more light mine are 1000 lumens a piece they will light a whole block up and i need no power reducer
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxyflash View Post
You could use a single throw double pole swich the better setup would be to go to led lights i did what a differance my cart is 36 volts i found some led that were rated at 12 to 36 volt i use to climb a hill the old lights would dim now with leds no dimming uses less power and has more light mine are 1000 lumens a piece they will light a whole block up and i need no power reducer
Oh.... The lights I found are LED, forgot to mention that. I think I'm going to do a test and set the lights up and see how they react between 8 & 48 volts. I just need ample light to drive down a trail so if they are bright enough with only 8 volts then I'll go the reducer route and be done. These lights are 900 lumens so they are similar to yours. Thanks for the input Roxy!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car