lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Low battery light dimly lit, warm batteries...why?

The other day I noticed the low battery light is dimly lit. Pack voltage was 50.2, and I'd only driven it a mile. Drove it home, hooked it up to the charger, and in the morning it showed FAULT at 50.8 volts. Batteries were giving off some pretty good heat. Reconnected the battery charger and when I came home from work, no fault. I forget pack voltage, but it was much higher than 50.8. While I was at work I picked up a Summit 2 and when I hooked THAT up, it said that the battery pack was 72%, and charged it to 100%. The terminals had some pretty good corrosion on a couple of them, so I assumed it was that, but after cleaning all of the terminals just now, the light is STILL on dimly.

I did notice that when I took off a couple of the cables, they were stiff, so I suspect they're not working as well as they're supposed to, despite the cart doing 27-28mph. Short term plans are to build new cables. Batteries are Crowns from August 2018. Suggestions?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Low battery light dimly lit, warm batteries...why?

Got up this morning, Summit said that charging was complete, batteries, charger and charger power cord were hot. I unplugged it. Light still on.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'll offer what little help I can.

Hot cables/wires = resistance.
If it were me, I would not run or charge the cart again until all the battery cables are replaced. From what you described those two cables are very suspect. How do the battery posts look? Are any of the batteries bulging?
I'm sure you've checked the water level in the batteries, right? Just want to be sure. LOL
Do you have a OBC? The fact the light is still on tells me either the batteries are not really fully charging or the OBC is confused or has failed.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

No OBC, uses an ERIC charger. I've had the charger connected to the cart, but unplugged from the wall, all day. Checked it about an hour ago and the batteries are still hot. SOMETHING is shorting somewhere. Water was good about 6 weeks ago, guess I could pop the caps and take a look inside later or tomorrow evening. In the mean time I disconnected the main negative to the cart. There was a 10 (possibly 12) gauge wire hooked up to one of the positives and going somewhere to the front, I disconnected that and checked the headlights...still worked...so it's not that. Not sure what that is though, maybe the aftermarket 12v accessory plug/USB bank.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Still hoping one of the eggsperts chimes in here. Batteries cooled down, loose negative wire tapped the terminal and arced. Key switch off. I've read on here both that wires should arc, and they shouldn't. So I dunno. :/
Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Still hoping one of the eggsperts chimes in here. Batteries cooled down, loose negative wire tapped the terminal and arced. Key switch off. I've read on here both that wires should arc, and they shouldn't. So I dunno. :/
You know I'm not a expert but I know the difference between a "spark" and "arc." An arc when you try to connect the negative battery pack is a sure sign of a dead short somewhere, not to mention dangerous. A spark can be normal according to some. Which did you really have?
Was the cart in Tow mode when this happened?
You said you removed some battery cables. Are you positive you reconnected them correctly?? Just trying to cover all the basics.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

It's in RUN mode, I'll switch it to TOW mode when I get home...didnt' think to try that. It was definitely more than just a spark, it made a bit of a pop. There's something wrong for sure, I just have to try to figure out where. Batteries were giving me these problems before I disconnected anything and I did get them back together right. Before I left the house this morning for work I checked the batteries again, albeit briefly, and they still seemed warmer than just room temperature. Mighta been my imagination, so when I get home at 6 I'll really dig into it more. Thinking it may not be a bad idea to pull the batteries. I wish I had a method to charge them individually. :/
Old 10-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Always put it in tow before removing any battery wires.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I suggest checking those batteries with a hydrometer. Quick story, a member at club with Yam G29, each battery voltage at 8.33-8.35V, nice balance, but not 100%. Charger would shut off and give green light, no errors. Cart would drive about 300-500yds and shut down, batteries then show much lower voltage. So, with 'fully charged' batteries, and charger shutting off correctly with no error code and a 2 day wait, I checked with my hydrometer, not one cell on any battery would even raise the float, they were dead.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Wow, that's pretty nuts. How would I balance these if there's an issue?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car