lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
ksmechwannab
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Surging vs intermittent Revving & Stalling

Hello BGW Forum GC enthusists. I'm a new guy to the forum, and just wanted to share my first trial at fixing an intermittent "surging" problem for a friend of mine (ole Hoop).

Intermittent problem because sometimes it would run just fine and then it would act up; uuuurrgh!! It always made it home bucking, but at least she ran and I did not have to push it back. I thought something might be getting hot and failing, but I was leaning more towards the carb because to me (the in-experienced shade-tree mechanic that I am) was thinking it kinda seemed like it was running out of fuel prematurely and then the fuel bowl would fill back up just enough to rev up or surge forward a few feet and then die (or stall). What a fiasco, but we hung in there. Needless to say it was not an over-night success, but rather a couple of hours here and there for a few weeks/weekends.

Well, to make a long story short; hard for me to do because I babble :o), I researched the website (BGW) and found a few similar problems and proceeded to experiment. Luckily, someone was kind enough to have the manual on this site for a 95 CC. A tremendous "THANK YOU"!!!

After cleaning the carb (x2), fabricating a carb throttle valve (aka butterfly valve) with a flat washer (it was missing), and reseating the push rod and adjusting the valve clearance, and changing a couple of the fuel lines - I was then able to get her running, but not without your help. THANKS!!!

I did find the wire to the igniter was loose, which may have been self induced as I was fumbling around the rev limiter. It was really loose so I just crimped it down to allow a tighter/snug fit (cranks, but does not start without it!!).

Didn't have a compression tester or anything like that to check compression, so I just went with what I had available; common hand-tools and a feeler gage set (and common sense to read the "free" manual and find alternative solutions). And, a little prayer and a whole lot of cussing ;o) She still smokes at startup, but I'll leave that for another day.

Anyway, I saved him the price of a new carb because you just can't find a used carb or butterfly (and no junk yard of carts around here; go figure).
Left the governor tied in for safety reasons - it works to some degree, and something is definitely better than nothing for ole Hoop.

I don't think I could have done it without those individual inputs listed in the forum in other threads, you provided valuable insight - keep spreading the wisdom!!!

I reckon I am to become the next shade tree/part-time GC mechanic around these parts (Manhattan, KS), as our go-to-guy retired a few years ago and the only other "real" GC mechanic is over 50/60 miles out of the way.

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge, mechanical ability, and personal experience!!!

Respectfully, ksmechwannab (aka Steve/Ponch)

P.S. - Save the best for last - the culprit was the RPM Limiter in case you're wondering; probably the original.

Last edited by ksmechwannab; 10-10-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: incorrect spelling (x2)
ksmechwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Surging vs intermittent Revving & Stalling

Congrats. Glad you got it fixed. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the carburetor with a flat washer in place of the butterfly would you?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
ksmechwannab
Not Yet Wild

No, but I really thought about it. I reckon if it's a topic of discussion I can easily pull off the carb agin and take a photo - not too hard after you've done it a few times. I was kinda proud after my auto mechanic thought I was off my rocker, but it ain't a race cart (and it worked!!).
Might have to send it to you off-line as I'm no computer guru; wouldn't know how to post it to the thread or forum without instructions.
ksmechwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

yeah I'd like to see it. Send it to TahoeDawgZ71@aol.com
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car