lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Splitting a nissan leaf pack for 1993 Club Car Ds

So, I am looking at 14 leaf modules for a potential conversion from lead acid.

After measuring my DS, I think I need to split the pack. I have a couple of questions based on that.

(1) I assume I would want two packs of 7, both in parallel, and then connect two wires to make them "series."

(2) If I do split the pack. How is that going to affect the use of a BMS? Will I need two? I was planning on using the Zeva as others have.

Thanks.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Splitting a nissan leaf pack for 1993 Club Car Ds

You probably want to split 8 / 6 since you will be wiring pairs of modules in parallel. It has no effect on the BMS if you wire it correctly.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

You will probably be steered toward making a single pack like most everyone else has done for simplicity and you would need two of the zeva units. The pros and cons to a split pack has been debated to death, it’s going to be up to you. I am my BMS and I try to take great care in watching everything closely during both charge and discharge. I only chose this route because my crazy wouldn’t allow me to just let some BMS I bought make sure my shop didn’t burn down, therfore I would be constantly monitoring it anyway. I would take the route that has worked very well for many members here and build a single pack.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

My bad, I thought you would need two of the zeva units to run split packs. My apologies for bad info.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Volt,

So 6series and 8series and just run two wires for parallel?
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

NO! 6 series/parallel, 8 series/parallel. You connect each pair of modules in parallel and then put them in series so your 6 module would be 2P3S and your 8 module would be 2P4S You then hook the two "packs" in series to give you 2P7S keeping in mind that each module is actually two Cells in series with a total max voltage of 8.4V. Your BMS will hook up as if it's one big pack. If you look at the wiring for 14 module packs you just split that as close to the middle as possible (6/ and join them with a cable where you split them.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Ahh, I see what your saying Volt. In my head I was thinking he would be running two separate packs of seven in series and parallel them with cable.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
Ahh, I see what your saying Volt. In my head I was thinking he would be running two separate packs of seven in series and parallel them with cable.
Electrically that would work but without connecting the cells you could not hook up a normal BMS to monitor the cells and balance them.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Roger. Wilco. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
So, I am looking at 14 leaf modules for a potential conversion from lead acid.

After measuring my DS, I think I need to split the pack. I have a couple of questions based on that.

Thanks.
What was the measurement between the frame rails? I have a 92 DS that was a gas cart, so the frame rails are farther apart than on an electric cart. I'm curious what the measurement difference is. Would be good information for others as well.

mockup3 - Copy.jpg

Here is my pack in the frame during mock up. The frame rails, at the narrowest portion under the seat, is 24 1/4" apart. Which was plenty of space for the pack.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car