lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PowerWise PCB schematic available?

I was speaking generically about ferroresonant transformer type chargers in general, not just Powerwise chargers, which the are only a few variants of. (IE: Powerwise, Powerwise + and Powerwise II.)

If you have a Powerwise model 28115 with a single piece control board, it has been updated from its original two board design.

A ferroresonant transformer and capacitor pair can be used as a CVT to maintain a constant voltage output with varying AC input voltage and varying output loads, but this is not how a ferroresonant transformer type charger works. The battery pack voltage determines the output voltage, which in turn determines the output current. If the pack voltage is less than about 41V, the transformer core is saturated, which by design limits the output current to no more than about 20A. As the battery pack's On-Charge voltage climbs, the output current decreases until it is in the 2A to 6A range and the control board shuts of the charger off when the battery pack's On-Charge voltage climbs to about 45V.

Not all ferroresonant transformer type chargers have a three wires in their output cable, so unplugging them from the cart does not break the battery sense circuit and it is the the output voltage climbing to the control boards cut-off voltage that shuts them down when they are unplugged from the cart.

--------------
A lead-acid battery is not fully charged until the specific gravity of the electrolyte ceases to increase while a charging current is passing through it and since the voltage tracks the SG of the electrolyte, the battery voltage can be used to determine when full charge is reached.

In the ferroresonant transformer type charger era, a voltage high enough to almost fully charge a relatively new batteries, but not so high that it overcharge relatively old batteries, was picked as the voltage the control boards cut of the charge.

Advancements in technology has made dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) type charger controls, which closely approach fully charging batteries regardless of age, compact and cost effective enough to be used in golf cart battery chargers and similar applications.

A Powerwise-II came with my cart when I bought it used, fresh off a 3 year lease at a golf course, but I switched to a dV/dT type charger that float charged after the regular charge cycle terminated to fully charge the T-105 batteries in my cart at the time and to maintain their fully charged state over long periods of inactivity.

-------------
Here is a link to the OEM single board replacement for the two boards that were originally in a Powerwise 28115: https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Input...roduct_id=1902

You might find that part number at a better price than from EZGO, but it might not be exactly the same style board.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
yorlik
Not Yet Wild

JohnyB, Thanks for your reply. Obviously I was not talking about generic stuff as I was asking for schematics or info on the specific Powerwise unit.

Thanks for your follow up reply. What you say is close enough to how it all works to be left as is! (As an electrical engineer of over 40 years, I designed and sold ferro xfmrs as well as design controllers like this PCB).

Thanks for the Ezgo link.
yorlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #13
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Could you explain how you shorted the RED wire that goes to EZGO receptacle
The reason i ask is I am trying to help a old person with a 36 Volt Club car use a charger I have laying around that works but when changing to Crow foot it does not turn on
Charger cord white wire to 50 Amp fuse and black wire to wires from Transformer
help please
81 First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #14
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Help if you can please related to this post
I have a 36 volt Powerwise charger charging a 36 Volt 89 Club Car the black wire that connected to red wire in charge cord for EZGO is connected to neg output or neg side of crow foot chargers charges but I do not think it it turning off because it is warm after charge is complete.
Also when running cart The resisters coils under and behind batteries get hot is this normal id did replace fibor board that mount resistors
Thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #15
81 First
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I figured this out In the charger the red wire connect to a black wire through a spade connector separate these put a new spade connector to the black wire and connect it to the two leads coming off of the transformer Or neg connection the black wire to charge plug is neg. and white wire to pos. side of crow foot
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO