lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO battery question

Ok guys I have a question I have a ezgo txt new xct500 controller emp motor 2gauge cables and a Lester 48 volt charger I only use my carts Offroad my ? Is I took it out Friday on a hunt and it would not pull hills my digital meter dropped to 22-24 volts these batteries are less than 2yrs old!! I am running the 8volt US battery HC blue top supposedly good I was told, I need any info possible what else could be my issue or which batteries should be on my list next any help greatly appreciated
droptine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO battery question

Run it around to see if any cables get hot. Triple check that battery cables & charge wires are connected correctly (even those who later found this problem swore previously that it was hooked up right). Check each individual battery while driving the same hill to spot any major offenders. When you buy a used cart, the seller always swears the batteries are like new, low use, perfectly maintained & the highest rated possible which cost them a fortune- Yep, & i got a bridge i'll sell you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What kinda bridge? What part of pack voltage loss does not equal bad batteries? Bad battery to battery cables I guess ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

3 of the batteries under load are around 4.2-4.9 the other 3 are 7.1-7.4 all cables are correct and just barely warm after a good ride
Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Crown or Trojan and which model battery would be the best?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine27 View Post
3 of the batteries under load are around 4.2-4.9 the other 3 are 7.1-7.4 all cables are correct and just barely warm after a good ride
There is the problem. 3 of the batteries are dropping a cell under load. You have about 35v under load. Anything under 41-42 is unacceptable for a 48v system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Scotty which battery would be the best for my application? I'm looking at the crown and Trojans, do I have to have a high amp charger if I go with the CR-190 or Trojan Ranger 160 thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your Lester 48V charge will probably charge either Crown or Trojan batteries okay, however it probably didn't charge the US Battery products since they require a higher on-charge voltage to be fully charged.

Your battery pack and amp delivery system may have additional issues, but your US Battery batteries have very likely been chronically undercharged.

Too bad the battery brand / charger mismatch wasn't caught sooner since the three US batteries that are <5V under load may be beyond redemption. Otherwise, they might have been saved with proper charging.

Unless the Lester 48V charger has user selectable charge profiles, stick with Trojan batteries or Trojan battery clones.

If you want to stay with US Battery products, get a DPI Accusense charger, which has user selectable charge algorithms.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

Which Trojans would be good T-890 or ranger 160?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
droptine27
Not Yet Wild

I've heard if I get a heavy battery like crown 190 I need at least 18 amp charger this true?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO