lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New cart.

Finially was able to pick up my cart this weekend. I think it was a 96 or 97 ezgo series cart. Will have to look at serial #again to confirm, I don't remember.

Now to lift, decide 4" blocks or 6" drop axle. 20 or 22" tires.

AnD can I get away with just a plum quick motor or do I need to do a controller too or both? And upgraded cables.

What would just a 400 amp controller do for me?

And I tried to load a pic. I'm not sure if it's my Internet running slow or the site or a combination of both. It's just sitting there when I try to upload.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New cart.

It's a 1996

Bateries date code makes them 7 years old.

Charger won't even kick on.

First thing get new batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160508_172105.jpg (423.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Looks like a good start. In my opinion, first thing to do besides batteries would be the controller. (Make sure the controller can handle 36-48 volts) That will give you more torque right away. You can up grade speed later with a new charger and more batteries.

If you don't plan to add batteries later and you want speed, then I sappose Raptor motor is the answer. (From what I hear)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

IF you plan on building a cart that will last (be dependable/reliable) and you plan on lifting it and running large tires, what you will need to do is this.....

New upgraded controller (either a 400 or 500 will most likely do)
New HD F&R Switch
New High Current Cables (either 4 or 2 ga.)
New SD Solenoid

considering you cart is a Series Drive.....remember it will NOT get any faster.....unless you plan in either upgrading to 48v.....or a new aftermarket motor, or BOTH.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
IF you plan on building a cart that will last (be dependable/reliable) and you plan on lifting it and running large tires, what you will need to do is this.....

New upgraded controller (either a 400 or 500 will most likely do)
New HD F&R Switch
New High Current Cables (either 4 or 2 ga.)
New SD Solenoid

considering you cart is a Series Drive.....remember it will NOT get any faster.....unless you plan in either upgrading to 48v.....or a new aftermarket motor, or BOTH.

Thanks for the solid advice. I'm thinking I want a bullet proof neighborhood cruiser and something we can take to the farm to ride around the fields and woods on, then I can use to ride into the woods to hunt from.

It will end up with a rear seat flip kit and down the road some HD springs.

But sounds like I need to do a controller/solonoid first as well as the other mods.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Thanks for the solid advice. I'm thinking I want a bullet proof neighborhood cruiser and something we can take to the farm to ride around the fields and woods on, then I can use to ride into the woods to hunt from.

It will end up with a rear seat flip kit and down the road some HD springs.

But sounds like I need to do a controller/solonoid first as well as the other mods.
Just as a suggestion.....go with the 500 amp controller (for your cart, the SPM48500) its better to have a little extra than working with "just enough".

as far as the controller/solenoid....go to cartsunlimited as they have a package with has both together, and will save you some cash.....AND when you do the controller/solenoid, its best to do the cables at the same time, otherwise you will not get the desired results. here is a link directly to the pages you need. BTW.....they are also a sight sponsors as well.

Controller/solenoid

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html

Cables

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cable-sets.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I want a bullet proof neighborhood cruiser and something we can take to the farm to ride around the fields and woods on, then I can use to ride into the woods to hunt from.

For Ezgo series 1990s cart use Alltrax SPM500 or SR500 amp control, 400a soelnoid. 2g cable set. HD F&R or better SW202 reversing contactor kit. And 6/8v batteries & DPI charger for the best results.

A 400a control is a flow restriction not suited for aftermarket motors. Do not go too big on tire size, 22s are all that are needed. More height just reduces torque more. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Just as a suggestion.....go with the 500 amp controller (for your cart, the SPM48500) its better to have a little extra than working with "just enough".

as far as the controller/solenoid....go to cartsunlimited as they have a package with has both together, and will save you some cash.....AND when you do the controller/solenoid, its best to do the cables at the same time, otherwise you will not get the desired results. here is a link directly to the pages you need. BTW.....they are also a sight sponsors as well.

Controller/solenoid

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html

Cables

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cable-sets.html
Yep I was gonna buy Scottyb package deal when I did it.

I was going to call him and chat about what I needed for my applications when I plan on pulling the trigger.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I want a bullet proof neighborhood cruiser and something we can take to the farm to ride around the fields and woods on, then I can use to ride into the woods to hunt from.

For Ezgo series 1990s cart use Alltrax SPM500 or SR500 amp control, 400a soelnoid. 2g cable set. HD F&R or better SW202 reversing contactor kit. And 6/8v batteries & DPI charger for the best results.

A 400a control is a flow restriction not suited for aftermarket motors. Do not go too big on tire size, 22s are all that are needed. More height just reduces torque more. I hope this helps
Good info as well. 22s were what I was going with. I had actually thought about 20s but I think I will go with 22s
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Since I am buying new batteries anyway. What would a speed increase be by going with 7-6v batteries?

And with 7 batteries I would obviously need a new charger day one and does the controller have to be swapped day one?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO