lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Joe Friday
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2012 Precedent battery problem after storage

I have a battery issue for the experts. Last spring, I purchased a 2012 Precedent (6X8V) from a dealer who had put new generic batteries in it. We used it last year, and it ran great. It has the OBC charging system

Last fall, we stored it in a covered location, plugged the charger in, and left for the winter. I am 100% certain that we had no prolonged power outages at the storage location.

When we pulled the cart out of storage, I checked water level in each battery and checked for corroded connections. Everything was good. We took the cart out for a short run, and quickly the battery warning light came on. I broke my voltmeter out and found that one battery in the pack was at 8.0V, and the other five were all very close to 8.65V.

I connected the charger, and it completed a typical charge cycle, but the battery with the lower voltage did not come up and match the other five.

Next. I picked up a 8V trickle charger, and charged the one battery independent of the others. With the trickle charger connected, now this battery will not even come up to 8V. It will make it to 7.5V and then tops off.

The cells have never been low on water. All the batteries appear to match.

Is it possible to change the one defective battery, or should I bite the bullet and replace all of the batteries?

Thanks for any and all ideas and suggestions!

Kevin
Joe Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: 2012 Precedent battery problem after storage

First thing I would is call the guy you bought it from and see if he will stand behind the batteries....if not,I would replace all with new heavy duty Trojans.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2012 Precedent battery problem after storage

Based on what you have tried, I do not believe there is any saving/resurrecting that one battery. Since they are fairly new batteries, check for any warranty, then if not any, purchase one good comparable used battery to complete the set and go from there. Sounds like your OBC and charger worked just as designed and maintained your maintenance cycle, but unfortunately, you have lost a cell. (A hydrometer will probably identify which one if you really care to go that far)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 2012 Precedent battery problem after storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Based on what you have tried, I do not believe there is any saving/resurrecting that one battery. Since they are fairly new batteries, check for any warranty, then if not any, purchase one good comparable used battery to complete the set and go from there. Sounds like your OBC and charger worked just as designed and maintained your maintenance cycle, but unfortunately, you have lost a cell. (A hydrometer will probably identify which one if you really care to go that far)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car