lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Ohnooze
Not Yet Wild

Default This sound like a charging issue or something else?

Disclaimer: I have never worked on my golf cart so if I sound like an idiot, it’s because I am a total noob at this.

My cart is a 2009 Precedent I2 Excel Club Car.

So it had been sitting up for about a year. This last week I bought new batteries and installed them over the weekend. Thing is while the lights came on and the reverse buzz came on the cart did nothing but click when I pushed down on the accelerator.

I also noticed that the rubber end of the charging cable that plugs into the cart was really warm…a good bit warmer than I would have expected.

Anyway, I decided to try charging it overnight last night. The charger was still on this morning so out of curiosity I unplugged it and pushed on the accelerator. To my surprise it moved but it just kept starting and stopping….jerking like it was getting power and then not getting power if that makes sense. Possible the batteries maybe aren’t charged enough even though they charged al night….I don’t know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.
Ohnooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: This sound like a charging issue or something else?

Make sure the red wire from the charger receptacle is connected to the pack positive battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Ohnooze
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Make sure the red wire from the charger receptacle is connected to the pack positive battery post.
That sounds a lot like Chinese to me....but I'll try to see if I can figure out what that means.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Look at the back battery under the passenger side.

There should be a 10ga red wire on the same post as the big 6ga RED cable that goes to the Solenoid.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Ohnooze
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Look at the back battery under the passenger side.

There should be a 10ga red wire on the same post as the big 6ga RED cable that goes to the Solenoid.
Ok yea, I know what you're talking about. Yes it's connected to the battery.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Not sure what type of batteries you have or how long they were on your distributors shelf, but many times after installing new batteries my chargers have ran the full 16 hours and timed out. After that, I would reinstitute another charge (disconnect the charge cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in) and after several more hours, it would reach a fully charged state and my charger would cut off.

Though yours would have had to be dead (and the charger would not have came on) for what you describe, but never the less, I would inspect all my cables for integrity and tightness and then go back to charging while periodically monitoring the pack voltage with a DVM. 61vdc - 63vdc would be common. It will shut off when fully charged.

P.S. And please make sure all your batteries are installed and series'd together correctly.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Ohnooze
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Not sure what type of batteries you have or how long they were on your distributors shelf, but many times after installing new batteries my chargers have ran the full 16 hours and timed out. After that, I would reinstitute another charge (disconnect the charge cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in) and after several more hours, it would reach a fully charged state and my charger would cut off.

Though yours would have had to be dead (and the charger would not have came on) for what you describe, but never the less, I would inspect all my cables for integrity and tightness and then go back to charging while periodically monitoring the pack voltage with a DVM. 61vdc - 63vdc would be common. It will shut off when fully charged.

P.S. And please make sure all your batteries are installed and series'd together correctly.
The needle on the charger was on around 5 when I left the house this morning....no idea if that tells you something or not.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is where is should be. As the voltage rises the amperage will lower as it is topping of the pack charge.

This is why you have to wait 12-24 hours afterwards to get a "true" pack voltage.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Ohnooze
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
That is where is should be. As the voltage rises the amperage will lower as it is topping of the pack charge.

This is why you have to wait 12-24 hours afterwards to get a "true" pack voltage.
So if that's the case then it's probably not that the charger isn't providing enough juice but something with the cart. Originally I ordered a solenoid replacement but canceled it when the cart moved this morning thinking it might be something else.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You are best to troubleshoot in sequence. First starting with a fully charged pack and then go out from there if needed...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car