lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
captbs32
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrade advice

First of all, I was a part of another golf cart forum and I must say there is a night and day difference in this forum. Awesome members here!!
Anyway enough about that...

I have a 2005 Club Car DS/IQ new batteries 6 months ago I upgraded my battery cables to 2AWG but I didn't upgrade the ones going to the motor. Well, yesterday I upgraded the motor to a FSIP 221-48VSPEEDCC. Awesome results!
I have changed the speed code to 5. In torque mode, it runs fine but in speed mode where I like it it seems to over heat something. Like everything shut off when I tried to back up the hill yesterday in speed mode.

Is this the IQ system going into protection mode bc those cables can't handle the current?

Also, if I upgraded my controller to a 500A what is the differance I will see with that motor? I have stock 18.25" tires no lift and a back seat, if any of that helps.
captbs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade advice

I would think the stock cables could handle whatever the stock controller could dish out, but larger cables will run cooler. You might have a connection that needs to be cleaned up or tightened or a bad cable. Those things can cause resistance and heat. I would touch the cables when you think it's overheating and see if one of them is hotter than the rest. If so, replace that one.

Definitely upgrade all the cables (and the solenoid) if you upgrade to a 500A controller. Someone else could hopefully give specifics about what you could expect with that motor with a 500a controller.
sonofagunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Might be overheating the motor. A speed motor on hills is not a great combination. They're not typically designed to handle that, and the motor may be running hot because too many amps are going through it.

Could also be the solenoid, or other cables.

If you have one, Using an Infrared temp gun is better than touching everything. If it's hot enough to smell like it's burning, its hot enough to burn you.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
captbs32
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good deal guys thank you very much.

Should I go with Navitas, Curtis or Alltrax?

Not sure of the pros and cons of each?
captbs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car