lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
1962hotrod
Not Yet Wild

Cool Bad Boy Buggy XT Battery replacement

Please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this question. I'm contemplating replacing my batteries in my BBB XT. I'm highly considering US Batteries 2200 series. I know to make pic's, draw a diagram, label all the wires and all that. My concern is removing all the batteries at once and loosing programing due to lack of power. Is that possible? Any words of wisdom for a first time electric cart owner?
1962hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad Boy Buggy XT Battery replacement

US Batteries may have a different charge profile than your current batteries. What charger do you have and what batteries do you currently have? You may need to update your charger to properly handle the new US batteries.

I pulled all the batteries from my EZGO TXT and left it completely unpowered for a week without issue. I haven't heard of anyone losing programing from disconnecting batteries, but I don't have any BBB experience either.

Hopefully someone else will come along shortly with better knowledge than I, but I'd be surprised if removing power caused you any programming issues.

What I do know is that if you have a Run/Tow switch anywhere on your cart you need to switch it to Tow mode before you do anything electrical, including changing batteries.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
1962hotrod
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bronsonj for the reply. I currently have eight 6VDC Interstate G2-ECL-UTL _ 225 amp_ E8 date code batteries in it now. The fluid level was pretty far below the top of the plates and there were several corroded terminals when I got the buggy. So it's unknown how long they were like that. My charger is a Eagle performance model 4818, it seems like it's working pretty well. I've not checked any voltages or specific gravity on batteries nor charger output voltage yet. It just bothers me that the batteries were neglected and the last time I charged it the charger went into this code:
30% RED & 100% GREEN LEDS BLINKING …. BULK STAGE SHUTDOWN
This indication occurs if the battery voltage does not rise properly during the Bulk Stage. This indicates that a possible battery
problem exists and that the charge cycle has been terminated at this point.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interstate batteries use the same charge profile as Trojan batteries. US Batteries use a different charge profile. I thought they used a higher voltage profile but my internet searches just found a lower voltage charge profile for US Batteries. So I'm a little confused on which is right, but it is a different charge profile.

I tried to find what charge profile is employed by the Eagle 4818 but it never listed the voltages for bulk/absorption/float/equalization. So I can't say for sure but it probably has the Trojan profile since that is what appears to be most common.

As for your current batteries, add distilled water to get them where they need to be and attempt a few charge cycles. You may get a couple months out of them while you search for new batteries.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
1962hotrod
Not Yet Wild

Mr. Bronsonj Before I buy batteries, is this charge profile a critical issue? Will this cause a real premature failure of the battery pack? How will the charge profile effect the battery pack in the real world? I understand different charge profiles are needed for different types of batteries. But from one MFG to another in a flooded lead acid battery, is it critical enough to justify another expensive charger? Please advise and Thank You in Advance.
Please excuse all the questions I'm just trying to get educated
Old 08-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi 1962,

I looked again and I don't know what I thought I found the other day. The US Battery Charge profile I just found online matches the Trojan charge profile. I looked at the absorption phase of the charge profile and both are 2.45vpc.

Sorry for the confusion sir!

Tags
what was i thinking
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO