lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
RobbyC
Not Yet Wild

Smile Ezgo TXT 48V no reverse plus buring smell

Hi guys I’m new here and lookin for some help. I recently bought a cart from a retired couple that were moving. It’s a 1998 Ezgo TXT that has been converted to a 48v with Alltrax AXE 4865 ITS controller set up. The cart had been sitting for some time before they decided to sell it. The Cart had not been moved in a long time and would not charge due to the batteries being very low so we had to push it on the trailer to get it home. I started by replacing all the batteries with brand new ones. When I I got them hooked up I tested it and it didn’t move. When the toggle switch was in forward i could hear a solenoid click, but It was one of the solenoids up top next to the controller, not the main solenoid near the batteries. Also when I switched to reverse I got no click at all. I remove the solenoid that is closest to the batteries and tested it, tested bad. I ordered a new solenoid and installed it, then tested. Now I have forward but when barely pressing the pedal after the solenoid engages it shutters and is rough while moving slow. If I press down all the way it will run like normal but then I get a burning smell. The motor also makes sort of a clicking noise. Also I now have a click in reverse but no movement in reverse. My alltrax controller has 4 green flashes then solid as it should and then yellow when fully depressed throttle. I’m lost of where to check next and what to do so please any help would be greatly appreciated.
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo TXT 48V no reverse plus buring smell

Shuddering at low speed can be caused by worn brushes or a really dirty armature among other things like loose connections. Just a thought.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just went with brother in law on his cart and we had a burning smell. Actually more of a hot smell then burning if that makes sense. He melted one of the posts on one of his batteries.

Make sure all the connections are clean and tight but also make sure you don't over-tighten the battery connection because that's what caused my in-laws meltdown. Over tightening causes the stud in the battery to loosen and not make good contact.

Another option is that when you get the burning smell immediately stop the cart and pull up the seat and look to find what's hot. You can do this with your hands or an IR thermometer. Just be careful.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
RobbyC
Not Yet Wild

I tried it again today and it seems like the smell is coming from the motor. I felt all the cables, batteries, solenoids, and motor and nothing was hot or even warm. Almost seems like the smell is from inside the motor? Also still don’t know why I can’t get reverse to work
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Id get the motor checked. you could have a brush getting stuck. They create alot of dust inside the motor case and you could lose contact with the armature or the brushes could be worn to the point that your not getting good contact.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, alltrax, conversion, ezgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO