lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
JBDiNos
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G16 starting problem

I have a 1998 yamaha G16 gas golf cart. Here is the problem. After about 5 or 6 holes it will not start right away. You push the pedal down and the starter just turns without the engine starting. After awhile (30 seconds to 2 minutes) it will start and run with no problem. After stopping again it might do the same thing or it might start fine. There is no pattern do it. But this problem doesn't do it right away, it only does it after it has ran for some time. I have replaced the spark plug and the fuel filter trying to eliminate the easy things. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you
JBDiNos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 starting problem

Check to make sure the air filter box is completely sealed and no air leaks to carb.

Next time it won't start, check to see if it is getting fuel. You may have some trash in the bowl of the carb. preventing fuel flow also.

It could also be a the coil getting hot. Check to see if getting fire when it won't start.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
JBDiNos
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, its not a gas problem. I pulled the spark plug off and it is not getting spark. After about 30 seconds, it will spark again. How do I know if it is the ignition coil or the Ignitor/TCI Unit? I call the local shop and they said it would be one or the other or both.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDiNos View Post
Ok, its not a gas problem. I pulled the spark plug off and it is not getting spark. After about 30 seconds, it will spark again. How do I know if it is the ignition coil or the Ignitor/TCI Unit? I call the local shop and they said it would be one or the other or both.
Your G16 does not have an ignitor, the Tci unit is your coil. Sounds like its time to change it. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
JBDiNos
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does anyone have a diagram how to take it off and replace it? I am not familiar with it.
Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
cart de golf
Gone Wild

On the passenger side you need to remove the plastic cover of the engine then the flywheel the cdi unit is the one supplying the fire to the plug also your coil unit

its hidden behind the flywheel

Common problem on g16

get a parts manual here

http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/# you can see a picture of a dissasemble parts to help you

then you can order a replacement parts from one of our nice sponsor
good luck
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha