lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Unhappy 2008 PDS, TXT rear wheels/drums not running true.

I recently purchased a used, stock (but like new) 2008 PDS that is driving me crazy!! I have the freedom chip in it and all my running is on paved/flat roads here in Florida. When I first got the cart, the rear drums were noisy. I discovered that both axle retaining nuts were very very loose (less than finger tight !!). Tightened up the axle nuts and also had to de-adjust the brake cable as the shoes were dragging a bit because there was no free-play in the cable.
That quieted and freed things a lot but I also notice that the rear wheels/tires seem to be running non-concentrically causing a noticeable up-and-down motion in the seat of your pants while running at speed. I ran the cart while jacked up and actually saw maybe 1/16 to 1/8" up and down movement of the tires (both sides). It seems to be most noticeable midway between half speed and full speed. Is it possible that the drums are bad or maybe bent axles?? Not sure what/how to check next. Maybe scottieb's locking drums as a fix ?? BTW, Does anyone know the prices of those drums from scottieb as his site does not seem to display properly on my laptop. Thanks for any suggestions on this remaining problem. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 PDS, TXT rear wheels/drums not running true.

the pinch hubs are $119.00 each
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OK-Thanks for the price information. I'll probably do some further checking before I replace anything.-RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Are the rims running true? (Pennsylvania in the Winter = Cold = Flat spots on tires. )

Are the axles sitting on the jackstands or are they hanging on the springs? (Out of balance wheels/tires)

Where in PA are the roads smooth enough to feel an 1/8" eccentricity?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed on the rim or tire assemble being the likely problem... swap a front wheel assembly to the rear and repeat the test.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Are the rims running true? (Pennsylvania in the Winter = Cold = Flat spots on tires. )

Are the axles sitting on the jackstands or are they hanging on the springs? (Out of balance wheels/tires)

Where in PA are the roads smooth enough to feel an 1/8" eccentricity?

From bigstik40's original message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40

.... my running is on paved/flat roads here in Florida.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My Bad - I overlooked the Florida part.

Still might get cool enough to leave a flat spot on tire until they warm up from flexing.

I'm not sure how smooth the roads in FL are. Every time I've been there, I'm far too preoccupied watching out for little old ladies with purple hair peering through the steering wheels of two ton lead sleds to notice any vibrations other then those generated by my sphincter ani externus.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Run on jackstands again and determine if it is the rim or tire wobbling, maybe rim is true but tire not seated all the way around?
If you can't tell, I say swap wheels also, If both sides are doing it I would be hard pressed to think you have both bent axles.
maybe poor quality rims,

Very important!!!: Tighten both axle nuts to 140 ft lbs. Do not loosen to get the cotter pin in, continue to next hole to insert it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My TXT has been doing this for years. Very noticeable hop when using cart for first trip of the day. Worse at speed. Would go away after 1/2 mile or less. Tires were getting a flat spot from sitting over night. More pronounced in cold weather (below 60°) but still present above 80°. Tires were Kendra brand standard 8" golf cart tires. I changed to 10" aftermarket wheels and tires last fall. These tires don't do this.

FWIW.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

most golf cart tires [and wheels] are severely out of round, if you can find a tire shop that still trues tires [years ago most shops did] you will be amazed at how smooth your cart will run.[ except when you first start out cold] kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO