lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
ritlan
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Late 90s DCS Only Runs When I Jump Solenoid

I've got a late 90's e z go that I've put a couple different solenoids on from one of my last carts and now I went and bought a new solenoid from dealer and still it will only run when the solenoid is jumped. I've checked voltage to the correct side of the solenoid and I'm pulling 38 in so I know I've got enough. I've traced every wire and pulled every braid. I'm about to pull my hair out. Please if anyone knows!
ritlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO Late 90s DCS Only Runs When I Jump Solenoid

Welcome to BGW!

Does the solenoid click when you press the go pedal? Perhaps the solenoid activation circuit (small terminals on solenoid) is not working.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may have an intermittent problem in the activation circuit.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. They will make you pull your hair out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
ritlan
Not Yet Wild

So remembering back to yesterday. I found the micro switch in the ITS wasn't breaking the circuit, so I figured the previous owner didn't listen for the solenoid to disengage and possibly didn't turn the key off consistently, so I concluded the micro switch burnt the solenoid up. Could we also conclude that the reason the cart moves when I jump the solenoid is because the solenoid then burnt up a section of the controller by being on all the time. Or does every component of the controller have to work in order for the cart to move? In essence, can the cart still move if the controller is not 100%?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Do you have a series or DCS cart?

The schematic previously posted was for a series cart and the solenoid activation circuit is different for a DCS cart.

In a DCS cart, the solenoid is activated by the controller supplying B- to it via Pin-7.
B+ is supplied by the red line on the attached schematic.
The ITS microswitch picks up B+ at the solenoid coil terminal and sends to to the controller (Pin-5)
Basically, you've got to have B+ on Pins 5 & 6 before Pin-7 will supply B- to solenoid.

When you say "Jumping the solenoid" do you mean connecting the main terminals together or applying a voltage to the coil terminals to activate it?

A DCS controller has four main functions.
1. Activates/deactivates solenoid.
2. Regulates amount of current (Amps) going to motor
3. Controls direction of current flow through Field windings.
4. Controls Regenerative braking.

Except for #4, all function have to work for cart to move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS- Primary KSI Traced.JPG (115.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
ritlan
Not Yet Wild

Yea, it's a DCS for sure. I'm thinking the controller has to be gone. I found that same diagram you showed me on studmonkeyracing.com through looking at another thread and I've traced everything and checked everything. I have to think it's the controller. When I say jumping the solenoid, yes I'm hooking a line on one main terminal and then touching off to the other terminal, pressing the accelerator and it goes. Prior to finding an orange wire broken at the forward/reverse micro switch, I couldn't even do this so I've got to think that since I've traced every wire and the cart move when "jumping" the solenoid and it's a new solenoid, the controller is not telling it to engage.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I missed that one, there also has to be B+ on Pin-4 (Orange wire from F/R) to get controller to activate solenoid.

The silver lining to this dark cloud is that a DCS cart is a torque monster with a DCX400 or DCX500 controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO